1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to VOB

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Deefitz, May 1, 2005.

1. Deefitz

Deefitz Member

Hi someone please help!!! I have a promotional video clip (6.5 mins long) with is an avi, I have never burned a dvd in my life, and need to burn 500 dvd's before Wednesday for a major promotional evening for my company(today is Sunday!!!). I have downloaded Nero 6 and I can't burn the video clip to DVD, as the file is an avi and not the required vob extension that Nero needs. I have two questions : No 1. what is the quickest way to burn with Nero and NO 2: is there any other program I can use simply to encode the avi and burn to DVD..I've heard that sonic mydvd may be able to do this??

Please help!!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You need to convert the .avi to a DVD-Video compliant set of files before you attempt to burn. Nerovision Express is about the simplest way to do this.

Open Nerovision Express.

From the "What would you like to do?" menu select "Make a DVD> DVD-Video.

From the next menu, select "Add Video Files".

The "Open" browser window opens. In the Files of Type: dropdown menu, select .avi.

Browse for the .avi and once you find it click on it.

It should now show it installed in the Content window.

Please read the title, it should say something like this:

1. name
    Video Title - 0h 06m 30s
    Target video options: 720x480 (CCIR-601 D1)-4:3

If this is correct select Next at the bottom right corner.

If something needs changed, click "More" then click Video Options. From the General tab, select NTSC or PAL. From the DVD-Video tab select the aspect ratio you want etc. Generally the default settings are fine. Once you are done here, select OK, close the "More" menu and select Next.

This is your Menu window. If you need a menu then just pick the one you like and edit as needed. If you don't want one, use the drop-down menu in the upper right corner. Select "Don't create a menu".

Select Next

Preview your clip.

Select Next

Choose your burn Options:

Burn To...- your burner.
    Write to Hard Disk folder- n/a.
    Volume Name- optional, give your disc a name.
    Recording Settings- set your burn speed, check write and make sure Burn At Once is unticked.

Put a disc in the burner and select burn. Try a DVD-RW for the first burn.

You only have to set this up once and you can burn it as many times as you like. Don't use the PC for anything else while doing this and use quality media like Verbatim, Ritek or Taiyo Yuden.

Here is the Nero tutorial. It is for an older version but very close. It shows how to do everything, transitions, menus etc. you probably don't need most of that stuff.

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/Support_doc/PDF-Vision2/create-basicDVD-Movie.pdf

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  3. Deefitz

Deefitz Member

Fasfrank Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with such detailed instructions! I am going to look into this right now, and see if I can 'master' it!

I'll let you know how I get on!

Dee

4. Brutto89

Brutto89 Member

I have a movie that I downloaded from the internet its a mpeg , and I would like to burn it to a DVD now I did some research thru the forums and I read to use "DivXtoDVD" so then I did. Now I have 3 .VOB files of the movie and now I want to burn them to a DVD I tried "Nero" and "CopytoDVD" and before I burned it. It said "The project might be incompatible to the DVD video standered, and may not work. Do you want to continue anyway" I then checked ok and it burn succesfully but would not play in any of my home DVD players only on my comp. Please if anyone could help. Maybe a program that I can use. Just anything then I could burn .VOB files to a DVD then it can be watched on a home DVD player

5. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Brutto89,
    You could actually use the method I described above. Just change this a bit to the correct file type (.vob):

From the next menu, select "Add Video Files".

The "Open" browser window opens. In the Files of Type: dropdown menu, select .vob.

Browse for the .vob files and once you find them click on the first one to add, then repeat to add each .vob in order.