1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi's arent supported on TMPGEnc,never had this problem before

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by DJDW, May 22, 2003.

1. DJDW

DJDW Member

Thanks,everytime i try to encode a avi to mpeg on TMPGEc it tells me "cannot open,or un-supported"and ive downloaded tv shows before off kazaa,then encoded them on TMPGEnc and then burn them with nero...so im guessing its un-supported,because it used to work....do i need a codec or something....thanks for the help

luke

2. PlusOne

PlusOne Member

I've had that problem as well -- it seems that TMPGEnc just does not like all codecs, even if you have the right decompression codecs. I get around this by re-encoding the video with VirtualDub (I use the Intel IYUV codec... creates a huge file but is well supported). Anyway, just re-compress the video file with another codec, and TMPGEnc will work fine._X_X_X_X_X_[small]GRL Technology - http://www.GRLtechnology.com/[/small]

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  3. DJDW

DJDW Member

thanks,but how do i do all that....

4. PlusOne

PlusOne Member

1) Download VirtualDub http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.5.3.zip

2) Open VirtualDub, and load up the video (you can just drag and drop).

3) Under the Video menu, choose "Compresion", then choose the "Intel IYUV Codec". If you don't have the intel codec, just choose any codec that, in the list of 'Format Restrictions', list no restrictions.

4) Click OK, Goto File > Save As AVI (F7). Save the file somewhere, and let VirtualDub do it's work.

5) Load the file up in TMPGEnc, and you should not have any further trouble.

#######
    You will need a good deal of hd space for this, as for about 45 mins of video an Intel IYUV file is about 4.5 Gigs... if you don't have that much space, try a codec that compresses the file more (DIVX, etc). I use Intel IYUV becauase it is a common format and uses very little compression therefore is very fast in this step.

5. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member