1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backing up lord of the rings 3

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jaildogg, Sep 1, 2004.

1. jaildogg

jaildogg Guest

Im having problems backing up return of the king and Ive been around the dvd back up bin! Ive tried clonedvd but it keeps coming up unexpected error. I tried dvd shrink but I cant compress it down to fit a dvd+r empty disk! I run into to same type of problem with dvd decrypter- not enough HD space. of course I didnt partition more than 7 and a half gigs because 99.9 percent of the dvd's Ive backed up fit after compression.! does anyone have any idea or have backed up return of the king already Id appreciate some help.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Looking at my Shrink analysis results for this movie, LOTR ROTK, I get these numbers:

Keeping everything, including sub pictures and languages: 48.5%, 4463 Mb.

Reauthoring, keeping only the main title and AC3 2 Channel audio: 60.9%, 4463 Mb.

I wouldn't do this movie without reauthoring and using the quality improvement features in Shrink 3.2. It will fit on one disc without any problems.

I split the thing in two for no compression.

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

you might also try editing the start and end points in re-author mode. it's amazing how much compression you can save from just chopping off the end credits.

4. michigan

michigan Guest

If you split it into two discs like fasfrank said you should be able to do the whole disc with decent compression ratio.

5. john179

john179 Active member

jaildogg i managed to fit this on one disc with menus using dvd2one.Pretty simple to use and it allows you to compress to what you want like shrink.Might be worth trying if you can not get it completed with shrink.

6. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

The easiest and fastest way to backup the movie is use a program like DVDFAB. Like Shrink you can decide what to keep or remove, but the best bit is to keep everything (Menus, all languages) and split the disc across two DVD R's. The program does this automatically choosing to split at the end of a chapter (but you can choose also), It then inserts a logo informing you (during the playback) to insert DVD2. As the movie requires no re-authoring the whole process can be done within an hour as the program will automatically correct chapter timing etc and at the same quality - minus the DVD Copyright technology of the Original(optional).

7. jaildogg

jaildogg Guest

hey thanks for all the info now I have an even better one for ya!!! I thought shrink compress it for me ( it said about4.483 before I backed it up. now after the fact Im looking at the size and its saying 5.5 gigs!! what the F?? and to make matters worse I gave the dvd back to my nieghbor. so now Im just working with IFO files and Vob files that are two big to fit onto a blank dvd-r!!! does anyone know of a program that will compress dvd files and/or re-author them????

8. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

Ya Shrink!

Just use 'OPEN FILES' and browse to the Folder where you stored the DVD. Make sure in EDIT/PREFERENCES that the Target Output size is DVD-5.

at the Re-authoring menu it's best to keep the compression at Automatic, remove extra's and other features if the compression is too low.

Save yourself all this hassle and use DVDFab for backing up.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Jaildogg, just use Shrink on those files again. Open Shrink, Select Open files, browse for your folder. Shrink as usual. Check the output size like Manu_DVD mentioned.

Manu_DVD, Do you have a link for DVD Fab?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    dual Xeon 3.06, 2 WD 76Gb Raptors, raid 0, Maxtor 250, 2Gb RAM, 2 monitors, GSXR1000, 88 Mazda truck
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  10. jaildogg

jaildogg Guest

Hey fasfrank, you said you split it in two, but you dont do that with shrink do ya??!!

11. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

Hey fasfrank,

The link for DVDFAB is:
    (http://www.dvdidle.com/en/dvd-fab.htm)
    Please copy the link inside the brackets.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2004
  12. michigan

michigan Guest

[bold]Hey fasfrank, you said you split it in two, but you dont do that with shrink do ya??!![/bold]

I do, use the start/stop and let her go.

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Michigan,
    Yep, I use Shrink to split with. I also do a bit of editing. I put a fade transition at the end, then I like to make an "insert disc 2" video clip. I usually don't cut the movie exactly in half. The start of the second disc will contain a few seconds from the last scene of disc 1.

After I get the first half on the hard drive, I will also take a 15-30 second clip from the end of it and put it in NeroVision Express to add the fade transition. NVE has some audio controls so I can fade out the audio as well. I use Shrink to get an accurate cut point for the clip, trying to make the cut at a scene change.

By taking just a short clip, I'm not working with a large video file. Any quality problems introduced are covered by the transition effect. I'm not affecting the entire movie by running it through the NVE conversion process.

Once the clip has the fade installed, I splice it back together. Splicing it together is just a matter of taking the first half, plus the modified clip and putting them both in the compilation window. Using the start/end feature I can make a frame accurate splice.

Once that's done, I take the second half and add a fade transition to the start, as well as bringing the volume up gradually.

Next, I use DVD Lab to add some chapters and menus as well as the "insert disc 2" clip. This clip is usually just some camcorder footage for a motion background with some text floating around. I use Premiere Pro for DV editing so thats what I use to make the clip. NVE will work for this too.

If I'm not going to add a menu, then I skip this step and use Shrink to add the "insert disc 2" clip.

Burning a DVD generally takes just a few minutes, adding all this stuff takes a lot longer. I enjoy the process and like adding a personal touch to the project. I like the transitions rather than having disc 1 just stop abruptly, disc 2 start abruptly. I sure don't do it to every movie I burn.

14. jaildogg

jaildogg Guest

hey gurus, remember my thread about backing up LOTR3? thanks for the advice but Im still having problems. it seems there may be some type of other copyright protection on the disk. You know when I try to load the files from the movie it says invalid access on dvd shrink. And when I put the movie in my stand alone dvd player, it plays fine. But when I put the dvd in my computer it will not play. It wont show in the preview window of dvd shrink either. And sometimes dvd shrink freezes up when I attempt to re-author the movie. Ive tried this with 3 different copys of the same movie. anyone with any input on this one???

15. michigan

michigan Guest

Don't know, sorry. I copied it (region 1) with no problem except its a big movie.

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Could this be a drive problem? Can you read other movies? That is not the error message Shrink gives you if it runs across CSS protection it can't handle.

There is no new form of encryption. Sometimes when problems crop up it seems that way though.

Find out if you can read a different movie and that should tell you if it is a problem with this particular movie

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I've backed up LOTR3 with dvdx platinum, no problem at all.

18. giraff36

giraff36 Member

i backeked it up with decrypter and nero recode lotr3 that is

19. jaildogg

jaildogg Guest

well, yes it is with this particular movie, Ive backed up a few more movies since, and Ive borrowed lotr3 from someone else and I get the same effect it doesnt show in the preview window .

20. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

the extended edition is out next month ... wait til then would be my advice

[i have lotr3 on 2 disc uncompressed myslf btw]