1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up Safedisc 3.10, Call Of Duty

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by bhess16, Dec 3, 2003.

1. bhess16

bhess16 Member

Hey everyone...I have searched the threads and tried my hand at making a backup copy of Activision's Call of Duty, but so far have had no success. I can create a disc that allows me to install the game but not play it. I have tons of programs downloaded on my computer right now...including Blindwrite 5, CloneCD, BW5Tweaker, ClonyXXL, SafediscAnalyzer, CDImageConverter, UnSafeDisc, Daemons Tools, and Nero. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook which has a Samsung DVDrom/cdrw drive...model SN-325B. I am quite confident it's not a 2 sheep burner, so I was wondering if using any of the programs I have if it is still possible to make a working copy of this game. I know it has Safedisc 3 protection. If anyone has the time to possibly type me up a short tutorial on how to go about doing this using the Samsung burner and any combination of the programs that I have I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry if I'm wasting anyone's time but I'm just not getting this! Thanks in advance!

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Use the latest CloneCD and the backup should play flawlessly in your cd burner, not your dvd\cd-rom. For read settings use fast error skip and read max. For write settings, choose "always close last session" and enable "amplify weak sectors" and burn RAW-DAO at 8x. Be sure that "hide cd-r" is enabled in CloneCD (startup\orange sheep icon) and again, play the backup in your cd burner, not your dvd\cd-rom.

Slysoft CloneCD:http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    DVDRW: LiteOn LDW-411S(4[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2003
  3. xakuma

xakuma Member

After following this information, I have managed to create a CD of Call of Duty that bypasses the protection. However, when I try to start the game in single player, the game crashes, but works fine with the original CD. Multiplayer also works fine with the copied discs. What could be causing the game to crash?

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Internet download or true image of Call Of Duty? Did you burn slow? If you're using Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% virtual stealth drives, then use the backup and play in your cd-burner. Video drivers up to date? Using latest DirectX?

Shoey :)

5. xakuma

xakuma Member

Apparently Alcohol 120% virtual drives or emulation has a problem with the game. Previously, I was using Alcohol's Ignore Media Type option, but when I switched to CloneCD's Hide CD-R the game worked. Could this be a problem with my system? Or is Alcohol blacklisted?

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I would have to agree as Macrovision and Sony (DAC) are targeting "virtual stealth drives" with their recent pc protection updates. (Safedisc 3.10& SecuROM 5.0) A cheap and reliable way around this is to purchase a "2 sheep burner" such as the Plextor Premium (52\32\52x) or an Asus or LiteOn.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I just backed up my copy of Call Of Duty three days ago using Alcohol 120% and my Plextor Premium. It works just fine with my LiteOn 166 (my beater drive).__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gun Control - The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, strangled with her pantyhose is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to the police how her attacker recieved that fatal bullet wound.[/small]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Be sure to disable autoplay in Alcohol 120% (options)>reboot>play the backup in your Litey as I know it will work. I'm just not a "red beer fan" or a BlindWrite "guru" when it comes to backing up Safedisc cd protection as my preferance is CloneCD= no autoplay embedded in the program.

9. Nephilim

Hey Shoey, I was a little vague. I meant that the backup works perfectly in my 166, no setting changes. I've got autoplay disabled on all my drives. So if you were just buying one right now which would you get Clone or Alcohol?

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If one owns a "1 sheep burner" then purchase Alcohol 120%. If one owns a "2 sheep burner" then purchase CloneCD. One can download Daemon Tools, a free virtual stealth drive(s) application.

11. Nephilim

Thank you much. I hate to be a pest, but what makes Clone Preferable to Alcohol with a 2-sheep (I have a Plex Premium)? I appreciate the info, Shoey. I ask because I don't own either and am about to purchase one or the other.

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Fact:
    1) Autoplay is embedded in Alcohol 120% which might fool a nOOb backing up Safedisc cd protection(1 sheep burner) when the backup will play in a dvd\cd-rom but after uninstalling nOOb finds the backup simply won't play. Same procedure applies to BlindWrite 5.
    2) If using CloneCD either your backup of Safedisc cd protection will play or fail in your dvd\cd-rom even if you decide to uninstall CloneCD as there is no autoplay embedded in the program.
    In short, nOObs are fooled by Alcohol 120% and BlindWrite 5 making backups of Safedisc and they launch from their dvd\cd-rom thinking they made a successful backup only to find out their backups are "software dependent".(1 sheep burner)You own the Plex Premium and you know the drive falls under the class of a "2 sheep burner" so why not use CloneCD&
    Daemon Tools?

13. Nephilim

A very welcome answer indeed. You certainly answered the "why not" for me! Thanks again.

14. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

*Praetor runs in the room ranting and raving, waving the red beer flag around...... then runs out* :p

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Wonders why Praetor holds up "red beer flag" when Praetor owns an Asus cd burner (2 sheep)? CloneCD+Asus will make working backups of Safedisc 3.1 and SecuROM (CloneCD\TwinPeak) and if Praetor want's to run from a virtual stealth drive, Praetor can use Daemon Tools. Shoey holds up "sheep flag" (long live CloneCD)... (laughs)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Afterdawn forum rules
    nVidia GeForce FX5600(256MB DDR)
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVDRW: LiteOn LDW-411S[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2004
  16. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Nah I just never really caught onto the cute interface CloneCD has :p. The A120 layout always appealed to me more hehe.

17. Nephilim

Another good point! Interface is very subjective. I do love red beer.

I should mention that my backup of COD runs fine on my other PC (the install was done from the original before I tried Alcohol) which has neither Clone or Alcohol on it. That pretty much suits my purposes at present although I'm sure eventually I'll find a reason to buy Clone as well!

Take care all.

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well you should have bought CloneCD to begin with m8 and use Daemon Tools as your virtual stealth drive (optional). Be sure to tell your buddies if they own a "1 sheep burner" and they backup Safedisc 2.51-3.1 cd protection not to be fooled that they made an actual "true backup" simply because of "red beer's" autoplay embedment. Long live the King of dup programs= CloneCD. Program has been around quite some time and still King(my opinion+ many others who backup pc\audio cd protection).

Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2004
  19. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

How do you make a backup copy, of Call of Duty with the NEED of CloneCD still being installed???? I thought I made a perfect copy of the game & it works as long as I have CloneCD installed but once I uninstall CloneCD, the backup copy of COD won't work. So I reinstalled CloneCD Trial & backup copy works again.
    So As in a earlier post, the backup NEEDS CloneCD to work. Question is, how do I make a backup copy of COD without the NEED of CloneCD or any other software after I did the copy. I have Plextor PX-708A & Nero 5.I hate the idea of my backup being software dependent, I believe thats is the porblem.Any Ideas???

Dave

20. Shoey

Shoey Guest

When installing CloneCD 4.3.1.9, by default you see an "orange sheep icon" running in system tray (startup). Is "hide cd-r" enabled? If so then you're playing COD with emulation in your Plex dvd burner. Right click the orange sheep icon in system tray and click exit.
    Try playing the backup in your a dvd\cd-rom m8. Do you have a "minimum" write speed of 4x? What read\write settings did you use for CloneCD?

Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2004