1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup DVD's larger than a single 4.7 GB disk

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sundance, Nov 17, 2002.

1. sundance

sundance Member

I'm new to backing up my DVD's. I was about to give it a try when I found very few production DVD's will fit on one 4.7GB DVD-R/RW. So what software is being used to split the DVD so it can be burned to more than one disk? I am using DVD Decrypter to make the backups.

Thanks,

Sundance

2. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

i use dvdsplit by derrow (the creator of ifoeditor); it is very easy, it lets you choose the chapter break and tells you how big each dvd will be, i don't know if you can choose the extras to keep but i hate the extras and want only the movie anyways..

however, if you check out www.doom9.net you can fit most dvd-9 dvds on a single 4.7GB. it just takes time and patience to figure out the process.
    if you have questions about the guides or antying, drop me a private msg
    peace
    seamonkey420

3. mike4692

mike4692 Member

Go to the following web page

http://www.hkruse.dircon.co.uk

it will get you started on fitting a dvd-9 on to a dvd-5. A very easy to follow guide, then go to the forums and read them and ask questions if you run in to a brick wall , it can get frustrating when it goes pear shaped but theres loads of experienced people to point u back to the right path

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  4. irishman

irishman Member

Where would I find dvdsplit??

5. mike4692

mike4692 Member

go to the derrows web site ;0)

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

sundance,

I put together a simple little receipe to help the "Newbie" perhaps it will be of help to you -

Welcome to the movie burning community -

This “Newbie Starter Recipe” is for the most part, is as a complete a package as anyone could wish It’s most outstanding plus factor, it only has 2 parts just 2.

It's second great factor, the guides are picture-by-picture, step-by-step, easy-as-pie.

We will start our dish with a main ingredient of DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 –
    It's FREE, can do almost everything you could wish in as few as 3 steps - It will rip your movies (gets rid of that “pesky” copy write protection thingy ;-) in generally 2 to 3 minutes, it can be used for your smaller DVD-5’s and it also allows you to compress your larger DVD-9's to the necessary 4.36GB in order to insure a nice burn without encroaching onto the very edge of the disc. The finished product is sure to please with no significant loss of video or audio quality.

“But wait there’s MORE !!”

For our friends with just a CD burner to work with, this compression thingy can be used to shrink all but your largest DVD-9’s to a size small enough to split and burn onto 2 CD’s in a mini-DVD format. (We’re talkin’ a pretty fair picture here because we’re still working with our VIDEO_TS BUP, VIDEO_TS IFO, and VIDEO_TS VOB files. ;-) Using CD’s now our cost is pennies a movie, how good is good ?

Afonic, one of the super good guys here on the forum, has put together a FANTASTIC, can’t be simpler, guide for you with the antsy CD burners to use and here it is:
    http://users.auth.gr/~ichatzim/minidvd.htm

(Taking a second to grab a breath before shouting out, like that late night
    info-mercial announcer ;-))

“But wait there’s MORE !!”

For those who like the backups “Their way” (a US colloquium, referring to a hamburger from Burger King) it also allows you to tailor your DVD’s. (This is also for our friends who are doing the Mini-DVD thing as well as our DVD brethren.) You can keep in or remove audio streams menus, Director’s comments, extras and trailers all that is required is to check a box (re-author), it couldn’t be easier. PLUS it provides you with a nice neat VIDEO_TS folder for you, perfect to have Nero 6.0, CloneDVD or RecordNow Max burn for you.

(Now it’s time to mix in the second and last part ;-)

“OK” you say, wondering why did the old guy is specify “Nero 6”.

It’s that mini-DVD thing I mentioned, it’s right there as a choice under the CD heading. That’s my reason why, for those who wish to burn CD’s that will play in 90% of the stand-alone DVD players and all Windows PC’s. I also feel that Nero 6.0 is a top-notched burning program.

Nero 5.5 is good if you’re not interested in mini-DVD’s or please consider RecordNow Max ver.4.5 or CloneDVD they are excellent alternative choices. Actually, I use CloneDVD a lot, I like to watch the sheep animation but it doesn’t have that mini-DVD thing included – so that’s why I recommended Nero 6 as the second “must have” starter program.

A complete DVDShrink program download and step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

They are great programs, extremely easy to use -
    Give it a quick try, you'll have a perfect burn this afternoon, really –

Enjoy, “P”

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's me again Little Buddy,

I keep on forgetting to add this little hint to help you on your way -

HINT: I created a folder on my HD named "DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. DVD Work\Starship Troopers.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "DVD Work\Starship Troopers" - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your DVD Work\Starship Troopers folder and you’re good to go. Now, , if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to DVD Work\Starship Troopers, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

Again, enjoy,
    “P”

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

HeeHee.....

Scubapete you are killin me man.....LOL

This thread is over 12 months old and you pull it from the archives and give it new life...........man thats real funny.......cheered me up no end.....thanks....

BTW good pointers though very useful for newbies to digest....laters

9. Rip&Burn

Rip&Burn Member

Great advice Scuba Pete. I enjoy DVD Shrink as it is very simple for novices like myself.