1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup game disc burned with CloneCD installs game, but doesn't run after installation...

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by tritone, Dec 14, 2002.

1. tritone

tritone Member

I burned a backup copy of "Freedom Force" using CloneCD. The game installed to my harddrive, using the backup disc, without a hitch. But after installing, when I reinsert the disc, I get the "startup screen", where you can select "play", "readme", etc. When I click on "play", I get the following error message: "Cannot locate the CD-ROM - Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application" I'm not sure what background info is needed in order to get suggestions as to what to try next - I'm running WinXP Home Edition on a Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 256 mb ram, burned the disc with a Sony CRX175E CD-RW drive, attempting to play the game using a Pioneer DVD-117R DVD-ROM drive. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, but the same error crops up. Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to provide.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well, thats the protection on PC Games. The general idea is to download cracks for these games which is illegal (well unless you own the game). However, Alcohol 120% is known for making perfect copies of games. Sometimes the game will actually work off the cd without a crack after it was copied but for the best results, rip an image of the cd with alcohol and load it into Alcohol's Virtual DVD Drive and it will boot then!

3. tritone

tritone Member

Thanks for the quick response and the advice; I'll check out the various programs you recommended - again, thank you!

4. Dela

No Problem

5. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

Tritone, you might also consider burning backups to CDRW's first to see if it works.

That way, you save yourself from "wasting" a CDR.

6. Dela

Actually most cd-rw backups of games don't work. Probably because the media is weaker than cd-r.

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Dela,

That simply can't be true. CD-RWs work fine on CD-R(OM)s that support CD-RW.

8. Dela

Really?? Must be what i am using so. They're pretty old lol.

9. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Not necessarily that old. My office has 2yrs old workstations (600+ mhz) with a brand CD-ROM (it's Tosh or Sony - cant remember) and no multi-read (RW) support.

10. Dela

I just tried Medal Of Honor a while ago on a cd-rw and all it does is hang on the logo yet when i tried it on cd-r it loaded up properly