1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup playback on PC vs Standalone

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by darkone72, Oct 1, 2003.

1. darkone72

darkone72 Guest

Hey everyone,
    I used dvd shrink to back up several movies, extracted the files on the HD in seperate folders and burned the contents of each seperated folder to a Verbatim DVD+R (no VIDEO_TS folder). Hence, why there was a "no disc error.. in my DVD player (Sony)
    Just found out about creating a VIDEO_TS folder! Ahh the learning experience.
    Anyways, to check the results I used PowerDVD to playback the movie. I select files, ex. (5) VOB files and clicked play.
    All functionality is lost from the movie menus & when playing the movie, it pauses (black screen) and then continues. This I believe is when the VOB 1 file switches to the next VOB 2 file (or next set of chapters). Is this going to be the same result on a stand alone?? I believe I used Roxio (came with DELL)to burn the movie?? can't recall.

Specs:
    Dell Dimension 2.4 G Hz
    60 Gig HD
    256 Meg Ram
    DVD Burner (can't remember make??) came with PC

Also, which to use CopyXpress, RecordMaxNow, or Nero?? I realize this is a biased question but opinions are appreciated.

PS what exactly is needed in the VIDEO_TS folder?? Please explain!!!

Thank you for your responses...

L8ter

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2003
  2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

If you just select the VOB files in Powerdvd, then ALL you will see is the video/audio content....

To skip chapters etc, you need to include the VTS IFO relative to your VOBS, basically ALL files contained within the VIDEO_TS folder.....

Your IFO's contain ALL sector data/locations and chapter points etc so ARE required to be able to skip to those points

You can basically call the IFO - the directory of the relative VOBS....

Just playing the VOBS will only give you the option to skip to next VOB file and not the next chapter, as this info is held in the IFO's etc.......

As long as you burn the complete VIDEO_TS folder which should contain the IFO/BUP and VOBS you will have functionality, provided the authoring tool has authored the IFO's correctly......

Dvd Shrink and Dvd2one do this flawlessly and you could take it for granted that all functionality will exist.......as long as the complete folder has been burned...

Hope this helps...._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  3. darkone72

darkone72 Guest

BaaBaa,

Thank you very much for your fast and detailed response.

I appreciate you and others that take the time and explain "trivial" questions. There is definitely much to learn about "backing up" the dvd process. Trial and Error (not to mention a couple of coasters)

So, DVD shrink ver. 3 Beta 5 will compress and copy all VOB files, including (IFO and BUP)? files to the designated location on the HD. All I have to do is create a VIDEO_TS folder and place the files within that folder, next burn using appropriate software ex. Nero etc..
    By the way what is a BUP file, could'nt find the description?

Once again, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2003
  4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No worries.....

The original IFO/BUP are all relative to the existing dvd.

Now if you strip bits out then the IFO/BUP will point to data and sectors that may no longer exist (due to the removal of bits - extras etc)

Therefore Dvd Shrink/Dvd2one OR any re-authoring tool will create NEW IFO/BUP files pertaining to the new information you have created.......

Thus the IFO/BUP are vital when it comes to having chapter points and different audio options etc.....

The way you described regarding your method is spot on, the main thing is Dvd Shrink will create a fully structured/compliant set of files.

All you do (as you said) is place ALL of them into a VIDEO_TS folder (uppercase), mine sits on my desktop and then burn the complete folder......and you're good.....

The BUP is basically a 'backup' of the IFO file, and is not normally accessed, only if the IFO maybe corrupt....

That is my understanding of it anyway (may have a bit more meaning to it) but it is part of the dvd compliance, and therefore is a;ways required......

Hope this helps.........Good luck.....