1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best backup software?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Joblox, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Joblox

Joblox Guest

Hello, I have been using dvd shrink in conjunction with nero to back up my dvds. I get my share of bad copies and I was wonering if dvd shrink is the best method of backup there is at present. I would like a fairly easy to use program which compresses and burns a film on to one 4.7 gb sized disk.
    i see Nero are advertising this Nero recode and I was wondering does this do the encryption and compressing and burning all in one?
    I would appreciatte all advice with thanks
    Joblox

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

i think shrink is easiest
    i have not had a bad copy yet because of shrink
    i used to use dvd2one, but i think shrink is alot better. i even had some movies that would mess up with dvd2one and shrink handles with ease

3. Joblox

Joblox Guest

Thanks Kchev'
    I admit that shrink is good but I had a problem when it told me I need more space than was on a blank disk (4.7) and the film was only 1hour 32 mins long and I have no idea how to compress ...so I just wondered if there was any system which did the lot automatically.
    Your advice is much appreciated.
    Joblox

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

go to preferences in shrink and set target size to 4300MB and see if that helps

5. bardie

bardie Regular member

You could try using the re-author mode in DVD Shrink so you can just grab the main title of the movie and this would allow less compression of your movie.
    Your movie of one and a half hours will easily fit on a 4.7 gb DVD disc, with very little compression I would have thought.
    Hope this helps.

6. wild77

wild77 Guest

Have you tried DVD Decrypter with Nero Recode2.You use Decrypter to rip to your hard drive and Nero does the encoding/burning.

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Default is 4465 so reducing it to 4300 actually decreases the amount of available room.

Is it possible this one had both wide and fullscreen on it? I've run into a few of those. If you ever run into one of those, you can just put a still imiage in the one you don't want and it'll leave you plenty of room.

As others have mentioned, Shrink is a really good program. Nero Recode is good as well,very similar to Shrink. Also available for consideration are the Clone DVD/Any DVD combo. I've yet to try them but I've heard Clone DVD is fairly simple to use.

8. kchev

kchev Regular member

he is saying that the finished file size is larger than 4465, so it will not fit on a single layer disc

it sounds to me settings are not right
    if settings were changed by accident, they need to be changed back

9. zippyd

zippyd Active member

In some movies, if you use full disc mode that happens.

The only way to get around it is to start inserting still images into unwanted extras or use reauthor mode. Or you can run it through shrink sending it to the hard drive ignoring the error of the file being too large and then run it through again. The quality suffers alot running it through twice.

10. Joblox

Joblox Guest

Hi again and thank you to all who took the trouble to answer my problem....I have one more question (This probably makes me a real cretin)
    When I go to preferences I get a choice of three; DVD-5(4.7GB) which gives me a space of 4464 (I think)
    DVD-9 (8.5GB) which gives me 8124
    Custom which also gives me 4464
    When you all say I should raise or lower the figure do you mean I should do it manually?

11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

use custom and delete the 4464 and put in 4360- that will give you a 100 MB buffer between the end of your file and the edge of the disc. If you experience jitters and jumps at the end of the movie, try lowering that number closer to 4300. If you get jitters and jumps all through the movie buy different discs, because you've probably got bad ones.

12. dimad

dimad Regular member

13. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

I have had similar problems with Shrink/Nero, Nero Recode. A few months ago I switched to CloneDVD 2. It works flawlessly. Not a single coaster yet!

14. Joblox

Joblox Guest

thanks to everyone for all the good tips. I really apreciatte your help. I think I am sorted now...so happy new year to you all

15. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

heres my system....

dvddecrypter
    to
    IFOedit
    to
    dvdshrink
    to
    Nero

alot of ppl might say its alot more than i need to do...and i agree your dvd's will work with less programs than i have in my line up, but once i got my media issues straight (aka. TDK sucks). i never make a coaster.