1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best overall

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by marek, Oct 25, 2003.

1. BernWern

BernWern Guest

Rotary:

Here is one link i have off the top of my head.....more can be found by doing a simple internet search with a site like yahoo.com or google.com. http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,112036,00.asp
    Peace,
    BernWern

EDIT INFO: BTW, the Sony and Pioneer weren't even in the top 5.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2003
  2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

3. BernWern

BernWern Guest

LOL looks like sombody has some animosity over my recommendation. Notice a couple things:
    1) It is still graded high by EVERY test site.
    2) The reason for the low consumer rating on this page is 2 low scores by early buyers that had not done the firmware upgrade.
    3) All the later scores are 8 or higher.
    4) Benchmark tests on over 90% of sites shows it outperforms the Sony and the Pioneer (for 4x multi-drives)

Again, I recommend this drive to anyone. If you do buy it, make sure to go to http://www.tdk.com/support/dvdburners/indidvd4xmultisup.html and upgrade the firmware. Also, I am suprised Rotary actually found a site with a low ranking.....I bet if you could email the first customers that gave low scores, they would change their tune now.

Peace,
    BernWern

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

i think you are taking me wrong here? i didnt do a big search i just put your drive model in at the address bar then it loaded the page i went from the top link through 4/5? then that was the best out of that the others were on about something else!

I take onboard your claims and i like to know about all drives thats why i asked to keep an eye out for future buying! i may get that next! i follow alot of drives as they are mentioned..

but after i found the link, like you say all websites or most of them are biased so really you can only go on what people like you and me say about them! as mkers will sing there praises either way!

i have a pioneer and thats down to what people said here! it could of so easily been your drive type, just the way it is i suppose! but aslong as we get good price good burns all are fine!

Thx all...

5. BernWern

BernWern Guest

Sorry for mistaking and creating tension. Just glad there are educated and resourcefull peeps like u out there too. I have a TDK VeloCD drive for regular CD's and that si partially why I decided to stick with them. Let me know if you have further questions.....I always have an answer, lol.
    Peace,
    BernWern

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

yes these reviews it all depends on what you search? what do you think on that plextor 708 i think 8x on +R? and why can they only do 8x on +R why not 8x on-R?

but the price tag leaves something to be desired?

Thx...

7. BernWern

BernWern Guest

Hello again.

Kinda off subject, but here is my best guess at your question. I believe the reason for the speed differences between -R and +R media is the inherant nature of each disc. -R media uses dye change (an organic dye is actully heated and made reflective) and +R uses a phase change (a special metal alloy is heated and made reflective). In the long haul, +R media should be better. The only reeason for -R being better now is compatability and price. As for Plextor....they are usually a solid drive manufacturer. I personally prefer some of the upscale name-brand drives since they typically have better customer support and since more people buy them, more help is available on forums like this. On a second note, I would NOT recommend and 8x drive to anybody yet....not only are they obviously new, but the media isn't easily/cheaply available. On top of this, with the technology turnaround we will probably see 16x in another 6 to 8 months. I personally will not upgrade off my 4x until 16x or better are under $300. As always, let me know if you have any further questions.

Peace,
    BernWern

8. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's not true. According to the DVD+R white paper, the physical makeup of the disc uses an organic dye and is quite similar to DVD-R.
    http://www.dvdrw.com/information/THAM13.4_stan.pdf

The difference you're talking about is between +/-R and +/-RW.

9. BernWern

BernWern Guest

vurbal:

I'm sure everyone appreciates your feedback, as do I. My fault for mixing up my information, you are correct. Sorry for the mistake.

On a second note, I believe the Plextor drive itself (and most likely Plextor) is leaning toward the +R technology. I realize (as many of us do) that -R is currently more compatible, but the +R/RW foramt was designed to be more compatibible and with greater functionality than the -R format. Anyways, if you're curious about the history of DVD and also interested in a larger view of the subject than vurbal's link, please use this one:
    http://www.pctechguide.com/10dvd.htm
    It is an extremely valuable resource for anybody, but very long and in-depth.

Thanks again for your help, vurbal.

Peace,
    BernWern

10. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

This was taken from Cnet's review of the Plextor 708A.

"In informal testing, the drive burned an entire DVD-ROM movie at 8X in less than 10 minutes--inspiring nothing less than pure delight in our test personnel. The fact that the drive does this with 4X-rated media is a major boon: there's no need to wait for new, untried, more expensive media to appear."

Like they said, no need to wait for new media. 8x performance out of your stockpile of 4x media. Can't wait to get mine!