1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best possible quality?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by sal88, Dec 21, 2004.

1. sal88

sal88 Member

Hi, sorry if this question has been asked before. I have been encoding fairly low quality divx's so far but now i have a near dvd quality looking file, have converted it and even though the quality is ok it still isn't as good as i'd like it.

Is this unavoidable or are there any special settings or software which will provide quality that is as close to the original file as possible?

TIA

2. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

If you are using TMPGEnc, then it's as simple as raising the bitrate, and putting the motion search precision at a higher level. That's really all you can do to increase quality, atleast that I can think of.

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

so you're asking how to improve the quality of the encode
    for divx ?
    if that is so, you're in the wrong section. :)

with only the codec, you will not get a better video than the original. nothing will do this unless its uncompressed or lossless.

but you can get it to look better than the original by filtering it.
    1)denoise to make it more compressible
    2)sharpen the edges.

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=8c6f3d6477d9ccf6cb0941ec89ef516b&forumid=33

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

4. sal88

sal88 Member

thanks, so if i have a divx at 1000 bit rate, will i still have to encode to an mpeg2 of higher bitrate to get best quality? ie get rid of blocks etc? because ive just boosted it up to 6000 and it is pretty much exactly the same as original, is this how it is supposed to be?

also, does variable bitrate give better quality or just reduce filesize? how do i know which settings to put for it?

thx

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No. AVI is a so-called 'lossy format'. It means that if an AVI is encoded once at 1000 kbps you cannot improve the movie in any way (except re-encoding the ORIGINAL movie with a higher bitrate).
    You cannot improve a movie quality, only worsen it; just a little bit, maybe, if you use a good codec with its best settings (e.g. DivX or Xvid multipass).
    After all, you've creatied a 700 MB AVI from a 4.5 GB movie! What do you expect if you manipulate thee 'resume' of that book you had?
    For this reasion I don't lke to put AVI/MPEG movies on DVD. I would need to have a 4.5 GB 720x480 starting movie to have a 'true DVD' quality. For this reason you can make an excellent VCD backup of a DVD, but if you VOB encode a 352x240 movie you cannot expect too much from it.

6. sal88

sal88 Member

yeh its not going to be the same as the original dvd but i meant how can it be as close a quality to the original DIVX (from the dvd),

because when i encode it to mpeg2 at the same bitrate as the orig divx it is considerably worse quality than wen i encode it at a higher bitrate.

Is there some sort of rule to follow to know which bitrate to encode it at?

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i hope you're using 2 pass.
    switch to xvid.

divx requires 3 pass cause the first pass refers to a connstant bitrate, while xvid uses quant. so only one 1st pass is necessary

8. sal88

sal88 Member

what does 2 pass and 3 pass mean exactly? could you point me in the direction of an article on it?

thx

9. jman0110

jman0110 Member

How do you get the 4.5GB 720x480 movie files? whenever I get a movie, its a low quality .avi file or something. Where can I find better quality movies and what file type would they be?

10. shiroh

shiroh Guest

2 pass is running the encoding 2 times. first is the 1st pass, which collects the information about the video.
    using that data. the 2nd pass which will be the final product will be encoded according to the data. resulting variable bitrate. optimising space. as needed.

3 pass can be found on divx encoder.
    1st and second will be average to get more precise data.
    3 pass doesn't mean better quality.
    divx need 3 pass cause it uses a constant bitrate as a reference. thus its hard to get accurate. while xvid uses constant quantizer, usually quant 2 at default settings.

more at....
    try...
    http://forum.doom9.org/