1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Prog for DV/VHS to DVD and DVD to DIVX

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fass0017, Jun 7, 2007.

1. fass0017

fass0017 Guest

First post, been lurking for a while but finally joined. :)

I have been trying to get a method for ripping my family (S)VHS and DV tapes on to DVDs. So far I have been playing around with AVS Video tools and Virtual Dub for converting my raw video files into manageable DIVX or XVID. The problem I have is that when importing my files from tape, I get large files and need an easy way to split them up by scenes in to different files for use on my Network Media extender. I've looked at using Virtual Dub to do this but it takes a while to save each scene individually.

What I need to be able to do is import DV and capture VHS tapes either into a raw or compressed format without loosing any quality. From here I would like to split up the videos in to scenes for both burning on to DVDs for relatives and for use on my network media extender.

For ripping DVD to DIVX I have been using both AVS Video Tools and FairUse Wizard 2 which works just fine, but it would be nice to have a sort of all in one tool that can still do single steps such as just splitting a file.

My dad had bought Roxio Media...version 9 which was disappointing to say the least. While the idea was neat simple tasks such as just splitting a file or converting were oversimplified which made it almost useless.

I've looked around without much luck...heard bad things about ULead 11, Adobe seems like too much..ect

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. attar

attar Senior member

If you use batch mode (Job control) it's fast.
    Load the file set 'Video' > 'Direct Stream Copy'
    Use the Shift key while moving the bar to the first point, set the start cut tool, move on to the end point and cut.(You are supposed to use key frames).
    Then 'Save Avi as' and check the little box on the lower left 'Don't run this job now...'
    Give the file a name like "1" and continue moving the bar to the next cut point.
    Each time you save a clip, check the box.
    When ready to do all the clips in one go, click 'File' > 'Job Control' and all the cuts are done at once.