1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best quality DVD to divx software

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by 305ss2, Nov 22, 2007.

1. 305ss2

305ss2 Member

What is the best one? There are so many that turn DVDs into divx files. Which software generally yields the highest quality rips? Thanks.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

The best one that I have used is the free Dr.Divx 2.0 but you need to have a divx encoder already installed on the computer to use it, the quality on that one is outstanding when using the default "home theatre" setting. The program is also excellent at doing episodic DVD's. It's best to use VOB's as the source files for this program. For the best quality I use this one but it is temperamental and has crashed on me a couple of times.

The other program that specializes in doing 700mb XVID's is Fairuse 2.6 lite edittion(free), that one has decent quality, and is very good in keeping perfect audio sync everytime. It doesn't do episodic DVD's to well. This program requires the source files to be in ISO format. It has proven to be very robust and reliable to me on over 100 conversions. This one has a feature, that can remove those black bars on the widescreen movies, very useful. I actually bought the full version of this program, which allows me to encode to 1000mb size files which to me is the sweetspot for XVID's in regard to quality.

The above 2 programs are fairly easy to use with simple default settings that produce excellent results.

When doing conversions make sure your source files are as good as possible remove all the unnessary audio tracks/ subtitiles, keep them tight. If possible process those files with dvdshrink3.2. If dvdshrink has no problems reading and shrinking your source files "to vob's or ISO", the divx conversion programs will have no problems with them either.

http://labs.divx.com/node/180

http://www.fairusewizard.com/lang_en/fairuse_wizard_dvd_divx_xvid_backup_tool_light_edition.html

3. squijello

squijello Regular member

how can you get Dr. Divx to transcode an entire DVD to a Divx file... for example, I have 5 different VOB files on a DVD and i am not sure how to ensure the entire movie is encoded to one DivX file... thanks!

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

When you get in the main screen. It'll say "input files", press the open file button browse to where you have your vob's, next pick the first vob pressing the shift key at the same time move the curser down until all the vob's are picked. This will transfer all the vob's to the input file box. that's all you have to do, they will be automatically process as one output divx file.

5. squijello

squijello Regular member

how am i to ensure the best quality for my tv... it seems that with this program i am having a very hard time, in fact i am unable to set the resolution to 720x480, it will automatically downscale to 720x304... how can i make this selection and at the same time keep the file size to 1 gb? is this possible?