1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big problem with windows xp starting up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mikeh0303, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Ok, I buit a computer for someone, and just two days ago I install a new zalman cpu cooler for them, after the PC worked just fine.

So today I look at my email and they say that they put the computer to sleep, and when it came back it said there was an error with explore.exe.

They had to shut it down, and now it wont boot!

This is what we have tired:

-Safe mode (wont boot)

-Every other recover mode!!!!

-XP cd go to recovery (wont work)

-Called microsoft - THEY CANT HELP!!!!

So if you have any things to help me that would be so great!!!!

I can reinstall windows, but I really dont want to.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  2. socom1000

socom1000 Guest

Well reinstalling windows might be your only way so i'ed recommend doing that and if u reinstall windows format your memory first to get it all back then reinstall even if u don't format there won't be no way to see the file you had on you computer and it will take up space.

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

You can try one of two things here. First you can go to recovery console by inserting xp CD. When setup finishes loading hit R on the very first screen. This will bring you to a prompt. Type in chkdsk /r. Now go to lunch or something will take a long time.

Second you can do a repair install. Run setup like your going to install XP. there will be a point in the install that gives you this option. you will hit R then. Dont confuse this R with the fist thing.

Note: Using repair install will cause XP to revert back to the SP the install disk has on it. You may have to reapply the SP after the rpair is complete. Also all security updates will be lost. Run windows update when you are done. Data will not be lost and programs will run as they normally have.

-Del