1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bios/modchips and installing a new hdd

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Dakwan, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Dakwan

Dakwan Member

thanks for reading...

I'm living in China right now and about 6 months ago or so i got my xbox modded here. I have no clue what modchip they installed .. after all this happened i got into learning about the xbox modding scene.. it's all rather interesting!

now my new (120gig) hdd seemed to install and format fine and i reloaded all the backed up info but the only extra space i have is 768 meg on drives 'X' "Y' and 'Z' .. each have 768 itself. and C and E drives both just having the original ammount. i do have F drive enabled on evox unless there is some trick i'm missing. Everything else seems to be working fine.

I read somewhere i believe that some modchips(or bios) don't allow for switching hdd's .. i don't know if thats true but i thought maybe that could be the reason. I went to see what bios i have (since i dont know the modchip) and in the evox.ini it says i have 'Original 3944' but in a app i have it says (bios_checker) it says i have an Xtender 1.1 .... so i don't really know at all.

If i install a new Bios (such as x2 4981) will it work on my modchip most definatly?.. since i AM in china which is usually a generation behind in technology i COULD be using an older modchip.

Is there a way to tell what modchip i have? preferably without opening up my xbox again.. the torx sizes here are different and i have a HELL of a time opening my xbox up.

or am i looking into to it too deeply and it's something simple and i'm just stupid wink.gif

I Apologize if i'm not being coherent .. it's a little late right now tongue.gif

OH also .. i know i probally shouldn't ask this .. but is there an alternate distribution method for bios's exluding xbins ? the ftp times out due to my poor connection from half way around the world before i can even go up a directory

thanks for everything in advance

p.s. i posted this on the xbox scene forums but got basically ignored or insulted on the [bold]Newbie[/bold] forum

2. Dakwan

Dakwan Member

can you tell by 'wink.gif' and 'tongue.gif' i directly copied and pasted?

sorry for the laziness