1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluring/Ghosting with SVCD when objects are in motion...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Kebast, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Kebast

Kebast Guest

I've been testing a couple of different formats and noticed that with SVCD I get a lot of Blurring/Ghosting when objects move. When things are still in the picture, the quality is great. When they move, I get a little distortion around the object. Is this normal with SVCD? I followed the guide on this site exactly, using all the recommended software. The bit rate I used was 2250 with a max/min of 2520/1145. This would fit the movie on three CD's. I really don't want to up the quality any more, as three CD's is the most I want to use. Is this the best I'm going to get?

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Guest

What guide? What software? There are many SVCD guides listed on this site. I suspect you may be using CBR in TMPGenc. If so, make sure you have motion search precision set to high or highest quality. Try 2-pass VBR instead (it takes longer to encode but can produce a higher quality product.) Check the stats on your player at: http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers to see what max video bitrate your player can handle. Then I would suggest start testing with min 1000, average 2250 and max 3600 (if your player supports 3600 many support higher.) Upping the max bitrate primarily helps in getting rid of macroblocks which can be part of the blurring associated with fast motion.

3. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Kebast, it sounds like the field order setting is wrong. This will result in weird blurring during movement.

4. Kebast

Kebast Guest

5. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

The Project Wizard in TMPG does a good job guessing the field order in most cases. Otherwise BitrateViewer can also tell you the field order of the source video.

FYI.