1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a new Sony 60" hdtv. Worried about burn in.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by eroc23, Feb 22, 2005.

1. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

I just purchased a new Sony 60" LCD HDTV rear projection. I play a lot of video games. I am worried that I can burn a image in on the screen ex..(stationary score, or a characters name) Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know any information about this. Anything will help. Thanks

2. MarkGil

MarkGil Member

Nope..no burn in issues with LCD rearpro TVs. Only plasma and CRT. Just be aware that these units uses a lamp to produce the light. It does have a life and is considered a consumable replacable item. Generally they are rated at about 30000 hours which is 3 -5 years.Sometimes they just go dim,sometimes they go completly dark. When replaced,TV is back to factory specs. No other components will degrade with time,but because of that lamp,don't just leave it on in the background. If not watching it, turn it off!

3. ozy

ozy Regular member

I have an LG 42" plasma and have noticed purple patches up on the top section of the screen lately only when certain colours are displayed. We play xbox games but never pause the screen and we also make sure not to play them to long for the score/life symbol to burn an image. Would these purple pathes be the cause of video games when the TV is only 4 months old.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I've had a sony LCD monitor with my computer for about 18 months and no burn in problem so far. Also no problem with my sony LCD rear projection but haven't had it all that long.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2005
  5. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

No they wont be from the game. It takes a while for burn in to occur. Longer than 4 months. And burn in is an image like a score that is always on the screen even when the tv is off ex. a ghost like image. I dont think plasma have problem with burn in but I am not 100% sure. Since the TV is still under warranty call the LG and see what they say. I also know that magnets cause CRT TVs to get a purple haze when they get to close to the TV. Again I am not sure if this is a problem with plasma. Let me know how you make out.

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Actually, its just the opposite. Plasma does have a problem with burn in ... sometimes a BIG problem. I did quite a lot of research when I was buying my computer monitor and later when I bought my TV. Everything I read said the same: stay away from plasma computer monitors and with TVs, judge first if you're using it in a way that could create burn in and, if so, stay away from Plasma and go LCD...Gerry