1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Brand Name" VS "No Name" Power Supplies quality or cosmetic?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HRJustin, Apr 27, 2007.

1. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

im looking for a psu with over 400watts and dual 12v rails with at least 18A per rail. i think of got it narrowed down to this enermax psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194015 ive been looking at enermax and fsp (fortron) power supplies and they both seem to have a pretty good quality. im looking to spend like $75-$80 for a good brand name one. also i was wondering how important the PFC would be either active passive or none i thought that the active PFC would be the best but i dont know. ive posted about this before and no one answers me i just want some good suggestions before i go out and buy one thats going to crap out on me quick.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Could it be because of your thread titles? Titles like "How about this?", and "Hey!!!" etc are

(1) uninformative regarding your query, and therefore unlikely to attract knowledgeable folks to answer your query. In fact it ticks them off. Like now.

(2) against the rules of this forum.

A title like "PSU: Enermax V. Fortron buying advice welcomed" might be a start in the right direction.

having said that, my advice is go with the Enermax. Just because I have used them in the last 3 PCS I built and they have been very reliable. In Europe, power supplies are now required to have either active PFC or passive PFC. Active is kinder to the grid and more robust but more expensive. Go with that is my advice.

3. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

well i suppose that might make some people not check it out but im glad you posted your opinion. what do u think of the new title? the main thing i want to know is how do no name power supplies that are made by the same places as the name brand ones not as good? i know that all power supplies are made by just a few places and the parts that are used determines the brand thats badged on it. what i would like to know is what company makes power supplies?? if a company that makes power supplies puts its own name on something then they must think that it would be of better quality. i dont know if this makes sence but not all power supplies but most of them are the same its just the sticker on the psu that makes it one brand or another. im not sure if this is right but if fsp for example makes them for other companies i would think that the ones that have their name would be better quality then the ones they rebadge with another companies name.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Not all powers supplies are created alike. I don't know about your notion that all power supplies are made by a few companies.

Enermax, Antec, Akasa, Cooler Master, Zalman, Seasonic, and Tagan are reputable major manufacturers of power supplies.

There are many smaller, less well known manufacturers of quality power supplies. Jeantech is one.

Manufacturers make PSUs to sell under their own names and they also make them to supply to PC assemblers. In this market as elsewhere you will find different levels: Premium, standard, budget, and el-cheapo.

A premium PSU intended to sell to a high spending assemble-it-yourselfer will have higher quality components ("Built up to the spec") than one designed to fit into a case for sale at $30 for the whole thing. ("Built down to the price")

One rule of thumb is to pick up the PSU. The heavier the better. Some people say it should not weigh less than 3lbs (1.4Kg) to be fit for a modern system.

I bought an el-cheapo case when I was building a system way back in 2001. £19.99 complete with made in China no-name PSU (That's about $40 right now). the case had more sharp edges than a drawer full of knives. It was fine with a 750 MHz Duron and one CD writer. I added a DVD writer and later a Radeon 7000 video card. What broke the camel's back was when I upgraded the CPU to an Athlon XP 1800+. Reboots galore. The PSU's rating, 350W, was enough in theory. I bought an Enermax 450W PSU and never looked back. It cost about 20% more than the case+PSU package.

Many PSU power ratings are a bit optimistic. Also, a lot happens in the first few milliseconds after power-up. A poor quality PSU can let itself down at this time, especially if it being pushed near its limit, regardless of what it says on the label.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  5. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Having a psu with the highest watt doesn't mean much. You have to look at the load on each rail, especially the 12V one. Your CPU, your hard drives, your video card, all run on the 12V rail. If you have a powerful videocard, a powerful CPU and many Hard drives and optical drives you should look for a PSU with more Amps on the 12V rail. Possibly a PSU with 2 12V rails for about 30A combined.Now even the junk psu and the premium one are both made in China,but it doesn't mean they're the same.Good branded ones,like Indochine mentioned,use good quality components to build their psu unlike junk ones which use the cheapest components which will most probably die on you.

Vincent.

6. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

i didnt mean that all power supplies are made by just a few companies. i ment that the major companies use the same components as the lower quality power supplies. not all but alot of power supplies have the same components just with different labels on them.

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

So what are you going to buy?

8. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Salut Indochine!What's up man?

I just got myself an EZCool psu,it's in a transparent casing,one side in aluminium,two fans with fan speed controller,it's a 550 watts and the 12V is 37A.I got it at a very good deal from one of my friend because he was not using it,it was sleeping there at his place catching dust,so i convinced him to sell it with me.Got it for 20 usd. The old one i was using before was a junky 450watts one and as i have 2 hard disk drives and three burners,i guessed it would be better to get one with a better and higher Amp per 12v rail.

Vincent.

9. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

well im fairly sure that im going to go with the fsp brand one just because ive heard good things about that company. this is the one that has everything that i need and nothing over what i would upgrade anytime soon. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104954 it seems to have a good enough rating and the brand i feel confident with being a quality name. if it was another brand at this price i dont know if i would get it but i feel like i can trust the Fortron Group.

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Looks nice - shipping weight 5 lbs. A good sign?

11. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

i dont know seems heavier then the one that came in the case so i hope its good i got a while to by it but im still thinking thats going to be about the best. as far as i can see its a good brand and they dont seem to have to many wide spread problems. anyone else that has a good name band psu around the same price please post it ive been looking on newegg for everything and i know alot of them so far lol. ive been going nuts trying to find what psu to decide on that will last me a while :p

12. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

13. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

This one cost a little more but is rated one of the best.

I have it and two of the 620 watt models.There made for Corsair by Seasonic.