1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Ipod Screen

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by clay7676, Jun 18, 2007.

1. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

Hello, I have a broken ipod screen with my 30gb video ipod. And it's really annoying. I've called many stores, got nothing. I called apple they said it cost the same as getting a new one. I also know that my warranty is up but i don't know if any other service plans came with it in which i can return for a new one or what. But help would be appreciated with repairing this problem without doing it myself and paying a load of money.

-Thanks

2. vertigelt

vertigelt Member

Replacement screens are actually REALLY cheap. The prices companies charge to replace an ipod screen is a total racket, though the professional ipod repair outifts (rapidrepair.com, ipodrescue.com, etc.) have come down significantly in the last six months. They'll charge $60-100. Compare that to the fact that you can get the screen itself for under $20, and even that's a bit much.

You can get your own screen replacement for cheap on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ipod-Video-Repl...4QQihZ014QQcategoryZ48680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This was a quick search; look long enough you might find an even better deal. There are lots of sites out there that will teach you how to take the ipod apart and replace the screen; just google "ipod screen replacement tutorial". Don't bother with the little blue plastic "tools" they send you to pry apart the case; they're worthless. Use a 0.5 or 0.6 mm guitar pick instead.

When you pry the case apart, it's gonna feel unnatural, like you're going to crack or break the case. You'll prolly bend the metal some, but when you put the whole thing back together again, you'll never know you cracked it open. Hell, it can't be any worse than having a smashed screen. Once you have it apart, you'll need a T6 (torx) wrench. You can get one at any hardware or electronics store (I recommend Fry's if you have one near you--try not to waste your money at Radio Shack--their tools suck).

Anyways, even with the cost of a decent torx wrench, you'll have a new screen for about thirty bucks (and you can keep the wrench for the next time you smack your ipod around).

The cheapo screens you'll find out there might not have quite the same contrast or brightness as what originally came with the unit. If you want a perfect replacement, make sure what you're getting is labeled something like "original manufacturer's part" or somesuch. It'll prolly run you about double for such a part, so you'll have to decide whether it's worth extra for the gaurantee. I've replaced my screen three times, all with cheapo parts. Two times the replacement part was identical quality to the orignal, one time the contrast totally blew, but after three days, I stopped noticing. But, I don't use my ipod for anything but music.

If you're squeamish about messing with the innards of your ipod and don't want to risk it to save $30, go with a place like www.ipod-lcr-repair.com; they'll even do free shipping (if you don't mind being without your 'pod for about 10 days)

Anyways, hope this helps. All is not lost.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  3. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

Thanks alot, the whole replacement with the wrenches and all is gonna be a last resort. Now that website you gave me are you sure that is not a scam? Cause i'm looking in to it and I might do it if it's not a scam.

Thanks

4. vertigelt

vertigelt Member

I don't personally know, since I've always just repaired my own.

Check out ipodlounge.com for some recommended vendors. I'd definitely trust any endorsements they make.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007