1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burned cd won't work

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by eacray, Sep 29, 2002.

1. eacray

eacray Guest

i downloaded a movie in 2 pts - 1 & 2 in avi. used nero to burn - it should have automatically encoded it to mpg (so it says) but when i put the cd (part 1 -haven't tried to burn pt 2 yet) i just get the title page. any ideas??

ps i am in the uk

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

If you add a title page/vcd menu to a vcd then you will need to press the number of the movie and then play.

So in your case, try pressing 1 and then play.

Hope it works

3. eacray

eacray Guest

oh how stupid i feel now - absolutely worked fine.

one more thing though.......... am i best using the automatic encryption on nero or should i use the tmpgenc that is often suggested on this site? to get avi to mpg?

thanks ever so much for your help so far - you saved me chucking away what i thought was a useless cd!!

4. Dela

You're better off using TMPGEnc to encode the avi to mpg. There is a problem though.

Some of your downbloaded movies may have some sort of weird audio compression. TMPGEnc can't read compressed audio (in some cases it can though).

I am going to assume that you will have this problem at some stage in the future so here is what I tell all the people who ask about it.

First of all, you need 3 things. The divx low motion codec, FHG Radium Mp3 Codec and VirtualDub.

You can get The divx coded here..
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html

You can get the Radium Codec here..
    http://www.riphelp.com/downloads/radium_codec.html

You can get VirtualDub here....
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm

and you can get TMPGEnc here...
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/tmpgenc.cfm

Now, firstly install your codecs. then open virtualdub. Click file - open video file. When you open the avi, click video and select "direct stream copy". Click audio and select "full processing mode". Click audio again and click compression. The compression dialog should have numourous compression formats on the left. Click No Compression and click ok. Now click file - save avi.

Now that avi will be compatible with TMPGEnc. Of coarse, before doing this you should check that the file loads in TMPGEnc anyway cause sometimes you get lucky.

Creating a vcd/svcd in TMPGEnc is simple. You will see the wizard at the start-up. There is only one thing you should know. Always choose PAL because you live in Europe. When you see the button other settings, click it and change Motion Search Precision to highest quality.

Thats it really, just finish off the wizard and TMPGEnc will begin encoding immediatley.

The quality is good on highest but for the best quality you should think about purchasing TMPGEnc Plus!!

Happy ripping.

5. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

wow dela talk about having free time on your hands.....that was about the best post I have ever seen.< what about us peeps in the United states should we choose pal also
    lol j/k .

6. Dela

Well i'd doubt it was the best post you've ever seen but it was pretty long. Thanx a lot!!

By the way I will take your question as sarcasm as Im sure as a senior member you know America uses NTSC!!

See ya around

7. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

yep knew that...thats why I added lol j/k at the end of my post. oh and by the way your post was very informative and I have refered people from other sites to your post .... ;-)

8. eacray

eacray Guest

thanks for your original reply - most of it flew straight over my head!!

So best to encode with TMPGEnc - how will I know if I have this compression problem you mention?

Also, whilst on the subject. I encoded and burned the movie - which on the computer plays fine but the burned version is very poor - it is not smooth running - for instance people walking look like robots and it pauses then goes on... any ideas or is this just because of the poor quality encoding?

please remember when answering I am as thick as two short planks so please keep it in simpleton language!!

Thanks

9. Dela

You'll know if you have a compression problem when TMPGEnc won't open the file!!! It will say invalid format.

What type of cd did you burn your movie on (it wasnt blue layered was it??). Don't burn vcd at 16x or anything like it, keep it 2x-4x to make sure you keep your quality. If you viewed that vcd in a standalone dvd player you have to take into acount the size difference between your tv and your comp monitor!!!

There's a lot of small little problems like these that can have a major effect on a vcd's quality!!!