1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD's won't play anymore

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Deputy606, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Deputy606

Deputy606 Member

Hey just hoping someone could help me out. I've been using Nero 7 along with DVD Shrink for years to either copy my DVD's and use WinAvi to convert AVI files into DVD files to burn them onto a DVD. I've been using this method on my Dell Studio XPS for about a year or more. I have always had no problem watching these burned copies on my stand alone dvd players. Recently though I noticed the burn pattern on the dvd disk are not what they used to look like. My dvds started skipping on the stand alone players and eventually stopped working all together except on my computer which plays the disk fine.
    I thought my DVD player was going out so I purchased another one. The same problem kept happening. I have tried different media and slowed the burn process from 16x to 8x. I have uninstalled all three programs, Shrink,Nero 7 and WinAvi and reinstalled along with uninstalling my dvd drive and reinstalling with no fix. I tried correcting my registry files with the same results.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Use Verbatim brand disks that say 'AZO' or 'Advanced AZO' on the package (AZO is the dye type).
    Do not buy the lower priced Verbatim 'Life' series.
    For dual layer disk, the only reliable one is Verbatim DL DVD+R.

Burn using ImgBurn at a moderate speed.
    ImgBurn is the burning portion of the old DVD Decrypter, updated by Lightning UK!

The other good brand is Taiyo-Yuden, but these are only available by mail order in North America.

The portable version of DVD Shrink will use ImgBurn (if installed).