1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner Firmware

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by viper0478, Dec 23, 2005.

1. viper0478

viper0478 Member

Hello guys. I'm back after some tests with some disturbing results.

Following shadow82's recommendation, i tried VSO's Inspector with all my backups, and the results SHOCKED me: Each and every one of my Ritek mini backups throwed a 100% OK surface test, and a 100%
    readable result !

I mean. WTF ?!?!?!?

I returned to the forums to check something I've read about the utility of Nero that does kind of the same tests on the media (Speed-something?), and went on to re-check the discs using this utility. Guess what ? 100% OK AGAIN !

So now I can officially say: I don't know what is wrong with my GC.

Reading the couple of last posts, I've seen that LarrxX has solved his problems (good for you man, congrats !). The differences between his config and mine, are:
    - He's using RITEKG05 whereas I'm using RITEKG04 media.
    - He's using a different model of Samsung burner. And a NEC burner.
    - (perhaps) the pot value, mine's set to 205. What's yours LarrxX

Seems like I'm stuck. Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your help guys.

Regards

2. LarrxX

LarrxX Member

Hey viper,

I'm really sorry you are still having problems. As for my POT value, remeber when I said I got 2 different readings when I measured it? I set the highest one to 190 and everything fell into place. Maybe it was just dumb luck, but now my Cube is working like a charm.
    This brings me to a question I wanted to ask: Is there any danger in setting the POT value to low?

Good luck Viper.

3. shadow82

shadow82 Member

LarrxX - I'm so glad your problem is solved. Welcome to the happy cube scene!!!. According to modthatcube, the lowest setting you could set the pot is 80 without damaging your cube. If you have to set it any lower than 100, its time to replace your laser anyhow.

viper0478 - My pot which is the default factory was set to 200 when I got it. Checked it again the other day and still at 200. Then again, my cube is brand spanking new. Its the first model with serial and digital av ports.

I hear cubes that are brand new without the digital av and serial ports are having problems due to a new drive gamecube puts in for protection. This might be 100% true also because a friend of mine who bought a cube over christmas (Mario Strikers Bundle) couldn't play backups at all. He switched to the first model drive and all is well with no DRE's.

I agree with ChoujiJ, "Sony Accucore discs (Media ID TYG02 -1st class" is the best media I've used also. I get mine from Wal-Mart for $25 cdn 50 pk. I buy the DVD+R's. Just make sure you look on the spindle cover for "Made in Japan" in very fine writing. Its beside the "50 pack" on the spindle. If its "Made in Taiwan", the discs are still good, rated second class but does not justify the price of $25 for 50 pack.

4. ChoujiJ

ChoujiJ Guest

Hey Shadow. That's very interesting. See my GameCube is the very first model, most likely a launch unit. Yes the Sony Accucore (Media ID TYG02) discs are the best I've used, but they simply do not work in my GameCube. I burnt about 10 coasters before I came to this conclusion. I burnt it in every way possible you could think of. I dropped my Ohms to 99 just to see if at one point it would read them, nothing! My GC absolutely hates these discs.

Now I'm using these Maxell DVDs (Media ID RITEKG05) from Wal-Mart 100pk for $27.77 cdn. So far every GameCube game I've thrown on these, my GC plays beautifully. Not a problem yet. I did some test burns to see now if these Maxells would work also for my PS2 and Xbox (Since I'm basicly trying to find one media that does all). First tried my Xbox, played just fine with them. Secondly I tried my PS2, and it too played them just fine. So yes I feel Ritek (Well at least the RITEKG05) are the best universal high quality DVDs on the market. The DVDs themselves actually look like they're high quality, the dye underneath is very nice.

Viper, this is how I solved my problem. Try many DVD's and find one that works well with your setup. While your DVD may be 100%, doesn't mean your GameCube will like it. Just make sure you don't pick up any Riteks that have a white blank paper on top. They too are Media ID RITEKG05, but my PS2 and Xbox didn't like them! So I have a feeling there's something wrong with that batch for whatever reasons. Try the Maxell/RitekG05 at Wal-Mart, they'll most likely work for you.
    Side note: I bought the DVD-Rs, since I'm told -R tends to be more compatible.

Hope that helps!
    ~Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2006
  5. viper0478

viper0478 Member

Hello guys. Thanks for the answers.

Well, my GC is about 4 years old so I'm quite sure it's not the case you mention shadow.

This leaves me 3 options (according to previous posts and experiences):
    1) The media. I'm going to finish my spindles of RITEKG04 and try to find RITEKG05, which I think are working fine for a lot of people.
    2) The pot value. I'm going to try lower settings, 140 - 170 perhaps ?
    3) The burner. This will mean I'm f%$"d up 'cause right now I don't think I can afford another burner.

It'll be a while before I can verify this options, buy I'll let you know the results.

Thanks for all the help. A "special thanks" to shadow82 and LarrxX.

Regards

6. shadow82

shadow82 Member

Lets us know the results viper. Those sound like very good solutions. I have a feeling its an old cube problem, we'll see though. If you check Joh's tracker message boards in buy and sell, there's someone selling a gamebit for $2 with free shipping, if you need to open your cube.

7. ChoujiJ

ChoujiJ Guest

FYI:
    My GameCube was made mid 2001 (before launch) and so far it reads beautifully! Last night I made some isos of my games like Zelda and Monkey Ball, using the new GCOM software and my broadband adaptor. (I would have tried using my usb connection from my Viper Extreme, but it isn't supported for ripping games yet?) It ripped a game under 15 mins and they played perfectly in my GameCube once I burned them with my new Maxell RITEKG05 dvds. So Viper0478, switching my media solved my problems, and most likely will solve yours too.

~Jason