1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning A DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by matinzen, Dec 7, 2003.

1. matinzen

matinzen Member

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition, an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.8 GHZ, 512KB Cache Memory, 800MHZ Front Side Bus Speed, 512MB RAM, a 160GB hard drive, and a Pioneer DVR-106D DVD burner which is + and -. I have Memorex DVD+R media and a Pioneer DV-434 stand alone DVD player. I have DVD Shrink v3.0 Beta 5. I have Nero Burning Rom 5 on cd, not on my computer yet, and I downloaded Nero 6 to a cd, also not on my computer. Which Nero do you recommend using? Also, should I use the "DVD-Video" mode or the "UDF/ISO" mode? I found all my guides at:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Any help is appreciated.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try Nero 6 using the DVD-Video mode.
    Good luck,
    Frank

3. soxley2k

soxley2k Guest

can anyone help me?? i got a liteon dvd +-r/+-rw and all the dvds i burn wont play on a home dvd player but plays on p.cs?
    i am using smart ripper/nero/dvd decrypter/dvd2one. and no matter what way i try i cant seem to burn one that works on home dvd players i have flashed the dvd with an update. and dont know what to try next as new to this any help would be very greatfully recived. i am using a 2g amd proccesser. 40g hard-drive 512ram and a q-tec powerpack. please mail me on aqtp34@dsl.pipex.com
    simon

4. matinzen

matinzen Member

Soxley2k, what type of media are you using and what type of stand alone do you have? Your media type may not be compatible with your stand alone. Check www.dvdrhelp.com for a list of compatible media with your stand alone.

Fasfrank, have you tried this method? What is the difference between the UDF/ISO and the DVD-Video modes?

5. soxley2k

soxley2k Guest

the way i do it is rip it to hard-drive and use nero to 5.10 to burn it to dvd the burner is a liton dvdrw + & - and all the disks i do only play on a p.c and not on home dvd player and i am new to this so what is the way i want to do it iso or video and what is the differnce??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2003
  6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Again matinzen,
    I use the burning ROM in DVD-Video mode as my main burning program. I have tried using it in the UDF/ISO mode just to see if I could get it to work but I always get an error message- "You have added DVD-Video content to a compilation that will not result in a DVD-Video compliant disc. To create discs playable in a stand alone DVD-Video player, please use DVD-Video compilation type." I haven't put a lot of effort into trying to get around that because DVD-Video mode works great.
    Those gudes are my favorites, You will have success when you use them!
    The Nero burning guide for DVD-Video mode works well and I found that after you open your VIDEO_TS folder icon on the right you can just right click on your video files> "select all" then select "add to compilation". When the files appear in the middle window they should have little musical note icons to their left. They are a sign of a correct compilation!
    Sounds like you have been doing a bit of research here, good for you!

Frank

7. matinzen

matinzen Member

Fasfrank, thank you for your help.

Soxley2k, have you checked www.dvdrhelp.com for your DVD player compatible media, and do have media which will work.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

i use nero v5 as what ever i do with nero v6 on the same settings even it will not play a dvd on anything!

go here for a easy guide!

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk

excellant guide!

Thx..

9. soxley2k

soxley2k Guest

matinzen i did go there yes and it says nero 6 which i have upgraded it to but still having same probs i had a nec 1300a but took it back as i thought it was that but its not i am new to all this so i need help. the burner burns ok as i can play them on p.c but just cant get it to play on home dvd (any)

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

are you putting them in a folder called VIDEO_TS and using UDF/ISO format?

also part 5 of that guide i use iso level 1!

if it works on pc it could be your stand alone player?

THx...

also make sure you are not using multissession!!!!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 3000 BARTON! <----- LIKE A ROCKET!!!
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1013]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS CORSAIR PLATINUM PC3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  11. soxley2k

soxley2k Guest

i was trying the dvd video one should i be doing it in the dvd rom then?? what is the differnce?? and it is not the standalone as i got 2 and tryed on the brothers aswell not work on any?
    if i do it in the dvd rom udf/iso what do i put in the multisession ?

12. matinzen

matinzen Member

Rotary, you do not think I should use Nero 6? I should stick with 5? Thank you.

13. matinzen

matinzen Member

Hey also, if I stick the original DVD Movie into my drive and then click on the drive in my computer it will tell me how big it is. Is this the actual size or does the size change when the encryption is removed?

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

the size will be there in my computer unser the drive letter! it should stay about the same size after ripping! if you are ripping the whole CD that is and not just main movie!

i use Nero v5 as what ever i do with Nero v6 on the same settings even it will not play a dvd on anything!

go here for a easy guide!

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk

excellant guide!

Thx..

15. soxley2k

soxley2k Guest

i just got a pioneer a06 whats the best way of backup copying file or iso

16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

17. matinzen

matinzen Member

Hey, how can I keep the menu? I opened the disc and saw like 10-15 different menu files, do I need all of the files, do I just drag and drop like the main movie or do I need subfolders?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  18. matinzen

matinzen Member

Hey, do I need a whole other program? TMPGEnc is one that I've read about to keep menus, but is this necessary?

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

martinzen,

Hi there good guy,
    I'm going to try to stay with you, it looks kind of confusing since others have used your thread for their questions -

As you can see our systems are very much the same.

I'll try to get to most of your questions with the goal of keeping it simple -

1. You are in most excellent shape with DVDShrink and Nero 6.0.

2. As my friend fasfrank told you, in Nero 6.0, make sure you have "Wizard" closed, make sure that the upper left hand window says "DVD" and that the left screen has "DVD-Video" Hi-lighted.

I am of the opinion that the main difference in how easy a program seems to be has a lot to do with the guide. At the bottom, I'll leave, what I feel, are two of the easiest (simple and quick) to understand guides for DVDShrink and Nero.

3. I have been using Nero 5.5 for quite awhile but the 6.0 version has more bells and whistles – (I do like my bells) It works the same as 5.5 even uses the same guides, no problem.

And as they say, I play DVD’s on my dishwasher, no problems –

4. Do you need TMPGEnc – Nope, you’ll do fine without it. If you want to play with other recipes down the road great – I’m just trying to start ya out simply at first, like I promised –

5. The size of the DVD as you have been told you can get by just checking the drive your DVD is in –

When using DVDShrink, after inserting your DVD, open Shrink, click “Open Disk”, after Shrink has opened your disc, anywhere from 30 seconds (with our systems) to 1 ½ minutes you’ll see the size of the disc at the bar at the top of the page. If you are in the “Red”, simply check off those files you don’t want, I.E. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Yak Basin language, or extra audio files – I keep ACS 6ch, ACS 2ch (that’s usually for the “Director’s Cut”) and Dolby 5.1 if it’s there, most of the rest you can trash. Only do that if you need to lose some stuff to make it fit. You can also gain more room by clicking “Ratio” and inc reasing the compression (remember, more compression a tiny bit less on the picture quality.

I have included a little helpful Hint below to keep it simple and foolproof-

Well my mouth is tired from talking so much so there ya go – You should have a finished product in about 1 ½ hours on your first shot –

A Super DVDShrink step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

A Great Nero, step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

HINT: I created a folder on my HD named "DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. DVD Work\Starship Troopers.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "DVD Work\Starship Troopers" - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your DVD Work\Starship Troopers folder and you’re good to go. Now, if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to DVD Work\Starship Troopers, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

Again, enjoy,
    “P”

20. Buik

Buik Regular member

I have an NEC 1300a.

I use "dvdshrink 3.05 beta" to create the file.

I use "CloneDVD" to burn.

Only problems have been media related - I buy cheap when it is on sale. A few coasters are OK.