1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning DVDs from DV Tapes

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lothe, Mar 11, 2007.

1. lothe

lothe Member

Hey, I'm gonna make 5 DV-tapes in to as few dvds as possible or reasonable. I also have 5 minidisc tapes containing the audio. It has to be able to play at dvd-players

I thought I could record the minidisc in adobe audition using a jack-cable, and then edit it in with the video in adobe premiere pro. And then be able to burn it on DVDs, they obviusly have to be compressed in order to get it to fit into a reasonable amount of DVDs. The quality does not have to be great.

I do not want to render it everytime I burn it, I will most likely have to burn it several times because people will request it.

How can I do this as efficiant as possible? Feel free to comment if you disagree with the recording and editing I mentioned.

btw the movie is from a contest with bands and dancers etc, the sound is recorded on minidisc through the mixer.

THANKS for all replies! I can probably get most software that you suggest I should use, because the guy I'm doing it for will pay for them.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

well you have to convert the raw video footage from the tape to avi or mpeg, adobie, pinnacle theese are two great programs that will do the trick for you

3. lothe

lothe Member

I know that. I just wanted to know what to do after I've edited it in adobe premiere pro. Do i export it to avi and then burn it to dvd? because im not shure if I have to convert it to dvd-format from avi AFTER I have rendered it for hours in adobe premiere.

So: Will I have to render it twice? One time making it an AVI and one time manking it a DVD-file, if I have to do that, can I render it straight from a adobe premiere project file into a DVD-file? And how much movie in hours/minutes would you recomend per DVD?

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

What I do is import directly to MPEG-2, at the highest-possible bitrate. I use a DVD recorder, though a capture card will do just as well. Then I use Womble MPEG Video Wizard to do my edits. Unlike a lot of editing software, Womble won't re-encode unless the video specs between clips are different e.g. different resolution or framerate; otherwise your video is basically untouched.

Ideally, for archival video, you would encode to a lossless or near-lossless format like DV or Huffyuv, but I don't have the money for a tape drive, etc. to back up those kinds of massive files, and for normal editing work that will go into DVD anyway, I find NOT encoding directly to MPEG-2 to be a lot of extra work with no benefit.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007