1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning DVDs with CloneDVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lactic1, Mar 9, 2004.

1. lactic1

lactic1 Member

I have been using DVDDecrypter and CLoneDVD to back up (make archival copies) of my personally owned DVDs. The ripping process is taking more than 45 minutes and the read/write process is taking about 30 to 45 minutes. This seems long. Is this normal? How can I cut down on the time required to copy these. I am using a Pacific Digital 8x burner on my new Dell 4600 Dimension (80G h/d).

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi lactic1, Here are a couple of things to check that might help. Go to your device manager and make sure all your drives are set to DMA. Make sure your burner drive is on the second IDE MASTER position. Some burners are factory locked to rip at about 2x. If yours is one of them, it will need a hacked firmware to unlock. Best to do this after the warranty is up. Download DVDINFOPRO which you can check the drive speed with or if you have Nero installed, it has a speed check utility also.

Jerry

3. koola

koola Guest

Hi lactic1, The problem sounds like your DVD Drive is locked! I would not do any firmware hacking when you still have the warranty on your system ond/or DVD drive.

One simple solution to your problem is to use AnyDVD with CloneDVD. You have been using DVD Decrypter which will take longer as you have to rip to your HD, then use CloneDVD to transcode and burn.
    AnyDVD will decrypt the DVD on-the-fly. You just point CloneDVD to the DVD Drive which contains the DVD you wish to back-up. Then just start the transcoding process.
    That's it!

4. chinadude

chinadude Member

I have a sony burner, which at 2.4x media is ~1/2 hour and at 4x media is ~1/4 hour. To speed up the whole process, without firmware changes, I installed a DVD-ROM. Read from the DVD-ROM, write to the DVD burner. Using CloneDVD the whole thing takes ~1/2 hour with 4x media in the burner & I do not have to insert & remove disks. Put the master in the DVD-ROM & the blank in the DVD burner and go away. It's great!

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

6. lactic1

lactic1 Member

I tried using AnyDVD twice. The first DVD, which was about 100 minutes in length, took me about 65 minutes to burn (on 2X DVD-R medium). The next DVD, which was about 130 minutes in length, took me almost two hours to burn (on 4X DVD-R medium).

Why are people suggesting that I not use any "unlock" device before my warranty is up? What would it do and where could I get it?

This process shouldn't take this long. Any other suggestions?

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi again lactic1, The unlock device is a firmware upgrade to your burner drive. Firmware is sort of a permanet software installed into the drive itself. If you have a warranty problem that requires you to get the burner fixed or exchanged and the company finds a non-company firmware installed, they will void your warranty. I most cases, the hacked firmware is much better than the original firmware. But the manufacturer won't see it that way. First, download this little tool called DVDinfopro. I don't have the link so just do a search and it will come up. Once you have the tool installed, click on the drive icon in the tool and it will show your drive and who actually made it. Then you will need the hacked firmware for that drive. The firmware can be found at www.rpc1.com if there is one available. You can do a search on that site for the firmware. Do some reading on firmware upgrades. It can kill your drive if not done right. Come back with any other questions after you see who made your drive.

Jerry

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

lactic1,

AnyDVD has absolutely nothing at all to do with your burning time - it is the thing that, operating "Behind the scenes", got rid of that "pesky" little copyright thingie and allowed what ever program you used to put the files on your HD. :)

Just the fact that you were able to put the files on your HD, no matter how long it took proves that it was working :p

As my very good "Amigo" Jerry has told you, the dive info tool will enable you to know a whole lot more about your DVD Drive and your Media :)

Here is the link to get it -

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Since AnyDVD costs $$$ you should download the DVD43, now that you know how kool it is :)

Cheers, my friend,

Pete

See ya, Jerry :D)

9. solo219

solo219 Guest

buning is easy with clonedvd and having anydvd in the
    background...copies everything

10. solo219

solo219 Guest

clone dvd and AnyDvD WORK GREAT....no saving to the
    harddrive...set it and forget it. burn baby burn....

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

solo219,

I think what you meant to say is you don't have any extra steps AFTER you finally get started with CloneDVD (by elby). Like all of your backup programs, it still is written to your HD - as with many, you may elect to keep those files in a temp file or a permanent one, your choice.

Actually, I believe when using DVD Shrink (free) and Nero against AnyDVD and CloneDVD, I believe the numbers of steps are fewer to run DVD Shrink as those needed to run CloneDVD -

Go figure, hey what ?

Pete

12. lactic1

lactic1 Member

I loaded DvdInfoPro. How do I check drve speed? What media should I insert?

13. solo219

solo219 Guest

scubapete,thanks but i still say clone and anydvd are less of a hassle...but with your way the copies have a better quality to them....
    thanks daddy
    where's red-ant 751 when you need the super pro???

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

lactic1,

Click "Help" and read the instruction yourself - Ya really can't expect me to read to you can you ?

Pete

solo219,

I will say for the first time user, Clone DVD appears easier. DVD "looks" worse but really, there is nothing that you have to insert or look up.
    And second: If you count the number of mouse clicks, DVD Shrink has fewer :)

Shrink - Opened
    Click - Open Disc
    Click - backup
    Click - OK
    (watch this - We're done)

CloneDVD 2 - Opened
    Click - Select CloneDVD (titles and Menus)
    Click - Title Configuration (Next)
    Click - Audio and Subtitle Settings (Next)
    Click - Output Method (Go)

Whatta think there Good Guy ?

"P"

15. solo219

solo219 Guest

P....thanx for looking out for this newbie on this
    issue my partner red-ant751 tells me the same all the
    time.... I have 400+gigs on my machine and have the
    space.....go figure..peace

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As you see, I have 320 Gig - I know what you mean. Was thinking about replacing my small HD with another 200. - I store so many DVD's I could use it -

Still thinking about it though -