1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning with shrink vs. decypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by theboner, Jan 18, 2005.

1. theboner

theboner Member

it seems that most of the time people recommend ripping with dvdshrink and then burning with dvddecrypter. why not just burn with shrink? that way you can leave it be and when it's done, it's done. that way no switching programs or coming back to the pc is necessary.
    does decrypter do a better job or something ?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

DVDShrink dosent atully do the burrning of the DVD, you have the option in DVDShrink to use decrypter or Nero. So when DVDShrink burns after it does its job its using nero or decrypter.

3. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

New to DVD ripping. Would use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Shrink guide says or indicates that if a movie is to large it will not fit on a single disk even after processing. Why? Shrink does not burn. I don't want to use Nero or another software. Why can't I use Shrink to fit a movie onto one disk. Send it to a Video_TS folder on the Hard Drive. Pull up the file and burn it using Decrypter, For that matter why not any size video file. The message would indicate that this is possable.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Its cause Shrink will only compress the DVD9 movie down to a certain percent and after that it wont compress anymore. So if shrink wont compress a full back up to fit onto a DVD5 next option is to re-author and just do the movie.I have heard of people shrinking the movie twice with DVDShrink. Shrink the files that wont compress all the way to fit a DVD5 then use them Shrink files to bring into Shrink again and compress again, but the quility would have to be real low after doing that.

At leadt that is what my undesratnding on the subject is maybe somone else would ahve a better answer

5. clscott17

clscott17 Member

After using DVD Decrypter, do I still need to go to DVD Shrink or will the Decrypter use my burner like Shrink does?

6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

OK. I see the compression proplem. BUT. The Shrink guide says or indicates that if a movie is to large [DVD 9 Spec.] it will not fit on a single disk even [AFTER PROCESSING]. Assuming the compression ratio is OK. Can I use Skrink to process a movie to fit the [DVD 5 Spec.] and send it to a Video_TS folder on the Hard Drive. Than pull up the file and burn it using DVD Decrypter. The guides indicate that this can not be done but than indicate, along with other information, that it can. As Shrink is not a burner, the quides also indicate that another Burning software is to be used with Shrink. Why not DVD Decrypter It seems that Decrypter would do this and Burn the file. I would like, only, to use the Decrypter and Shrink software.

7. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

@LCSHG....

If you can Process the movie enough with Shrink to where it fits on a single layer disc (DVD5), then just encode it into an ISO image, don't bother encoding to files. Then burn the ISO either with Nero or with Decrypter using [bold]ISO Write[/bold] mode.

The only time you ever really need to mess with ripping a disc into files, is if by some chance DVD Shrink is unable to rip the disc by itself. Res Evil 2 for example.

In this instance, if you still wish to use DVD Shrink to compress, you would need to use DVD Decrypter in [bold]FILE[/bold] mode to rip the disc into VOB files. Once that is accomplished, you can open the files in DVD Shrink (via the Open Files tab) and process the files into an ISO image as normal. Then go back to Nero or Decrypter and burn the ISO.

Once again to make this clear, DVD Shrink [bold] does not burn anything.[/bold] It can use either the Nero or Decrypter burn engine but you [bold]MUST[/bold] have one of those two programs.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just wanted to add that Shrink will also use Copy2DVD to burn as well as Nero and Decrypter :)

9. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

@weirdo007
    Thanks for the reply I believe they answer my questions. I was told that DVD Dccrypter was better than DVD Shrink for ripping/decoading. I have a new Lite-on that has a DVD 4x double layer write mode. Using the proper media. Can I use either software or some other To burn an entire DVD-9 .file. I understand that Shrink is no a burner

10. rjl24

rjl24 Member

a real newby, still learning.

using dvd shrink 3.2, dvcd encrypter and nero 6.6.05.

how do i burn dvd to iso. image files? dvd shrink creates a ifo. and vob., file on my hard drive. it is set to use nero to burn, which it does well (35 minutes from rip to burn usually.

yet, when i try to make a copy using nero only, from dvd shrink's .ifo files on HDD, i can not burn directly to nero to make a second copy as it does not accept .ifo files.

if possible, how can i get dvd shrink to make .iso files? or is it dvd encrypter that makes the .iso files? either way, how can i do this?

am a newby, please be kind.

thanks in advance,
    robert

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Shrink will create the ISO file for your movie after you hit backup just select Crate ISO Image file and save it to your Hard Drive.

:)

12. theboner

theboner Member

i know shrink burns with nero, so i should worded my question differently.

does nero or decrypter burn any differently? or do they both do the same job? does one do a better job than the other? more reliable?

thanks.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

They both burn fine
    Decrypter will only burn an ISO (image file)
    Nero is an all around great CD/DVD copying program.

You can use either one to burn your movie to a DVD as long as you created the file in ISO mode. If not then you would have to use NERO.

I prefer Nero myself, but I don't really have a reason why as they both work fine for me.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

They both burn fine
    Decrypter will only burn an ISO (image file)
    Nero is an all around great CD/DVD copying program.

You can use either one to burn your movie to a DVD as long as you created the file in ISO mode. If not then you would have to use NERO.

I prefer Nero myself, but I don't really have a reason why as they both work fine for me.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

WHAT THE... ? ^^^^^
    LOL double double post LOL

Opps sorry I think I may have hit the reply button twice damn mouse!