1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bypassing Macrovision with AVDC-100

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Gardener3, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Gardener3

Gardener3 Member

This is what eddieb posted in the thread entitled "VHS Tapes to DVD":

"From another forum I obtained the following tip on how
    to disable Macrovision using the Canopus ADVC-100
    hardware video converter device that works for me.
    Press and HOLD the Input Select switch. When
    colour-bars appear at analogue output, KEEP THE BUTTON
    PRESSED. Wait until the colour-bars DISAPPEAR before
    releasing the button. Macrovision is now disabled
    until the unit is switched off. You do not have to be
    playing a Macrovision-protected signal into the box
    while doing this."

What are the toggle settings of the ADVC-100 to accomplish this? I have toggles 1-4 on "off", and have tried all the various on-off combinations for toggles 5 and 6 without any luck.

I am using a Sony VAIO computer model PCV RS-322, and importing video via DVGate Plus.

2. Gardener3

Gardener3 Member

Followup:

This is what happens when I turn to "ON" toggles 5 (input DIGITAL) and 6 (select mode AUTO):

The ANALOG IN blue light on the front of the ADVC-100 is lit (which is counterintuitive, the signal coming into the unit is digital), and the red status light is lit. When viewing the movie on the computer monitor, the scenes keep shifting from normal to underexposed every several seconds, which I assume means that the DVD is copyright protected.

When I depress the Input Select button as eddieb suggests to override the Macrovision protection, the DIGITAL IN blue light becomes lit, and ANALOG IN light turns off, and the red STATUS light turns off. However, the movie scenes on the monitor disappears, and only a blank blue screen is shown. The computer apparently now is not receiving a signal, so I cannot copy the movie to the hard drive.

When I turn to "OFF" toggles 5 (input ANALOG) and 6 (select mode MANUAL) the same thing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

I have No Idea what is Going on Unless they changed how the Hardware Works in the ADVC-100..From your Post it seems to point to you trying to capture Video from a DVD Player because you state
    Why Capture from a DVD Player when you can Rip the DVD to Your Hard drive in like 15 minutes with No Quality Loss and then edit it or do with it as you wish....The only other Thing you can do is Get yourself a Video stabilizer to remove the Macrovision from DVD"s and VHS Tapes....Good Luck

4. Gardener3

Gardener3 Member

I was using the ADVC-100 between a DVD player and my PC in an attempt to duplicate eddieb's experience of bypassing Macrovision. Since I cannot seem to do that, I don't know if the ADVC-100 is worth its $300 price. I would think that owning a DVD recorder for the same price would accomplish the same thing (ditigizing VHS and 8 mm tapes via hooking up with a camcorder or VHS player), and I'd be able to use the DVD recorder for other purposes. Once I have finished archiving my tapes to DVD, the ADVC-100 would serve no other purpose. Is my opinion correct?

5. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

No, it depends: example: a PAL player makes of a NTSC dvd a PAL60 signal, which the acvc100 can not decode,
    same is valid for a vcr.
    btw. the software "option" gives better results in this case, but is difficult to execute.
    The macrovision "hack" is easy for the advc, press
    the button until the test image has dissappeared,
    approx. 16 seconds, release the button, and press it
    again to switch back to analog mode, it really works !
    otherwise it's not a "pure" PAL or NTSC signal...

6. Gardener3

Gardener3 Member

fugitive2,

Thanks for responding. I have a couple of questions:

[bold]Your quote[bold]: btw. the software "option" gives better results in this case, but is difficult to execute.

[bold]My response [bold]: I don't know what you are referring to. Please enlighten me.

//////////////////////

[bold]Your quote[bold]: The macrovision "hack" is easy for the advc, press the button until the test image has dissappeared, approx. 16 seconds, release the button, and press it again to switch back to analog mode, it really works !

[bold]My question[bold]: What are the toggle settings on the bottom of the AVDC-100 to accomplish the hack? If I interpret correctly what you are saying, my mistake was not holding down the Input Select button long enough. Is that correct?

Thanks loads,
    Gardener

7. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

Hi, i mean by "software option" to copy a pressed DVD-video, you should use a DVD drive in your pc, and use
    DVD Decrypter to rip/extract, Macrovision is also
    removed, (but this is off-subject here?)
    With the ADVC100, you should put dip no.1 OFF for NTSC, or, ON for PAL, (depends what you input)
    dip nr.6 OFF, for MANUAL, because you are need this to use the silver button, to use it for the MacroVision "cheat" :) otherwise it won't work.

8. Gardener3

Gardener3 Member

fugitive2:

Okay, I'll try your method out tonight! I'll post my results.

BTW, how does one know that a particular DVD is Macrovision protected? Until a couple of nights ago, I have never tried to burn a store-bought DVD. I looked on the DVD case, but all it said was it was copyrighted -- no mention of the word "Macrovision". As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, when I had the ADVC-100 hooked up between the DVD player and my PC, I could watch the movie in progress (without trying to download it), but the scenes would change from normal to severely underexposed on a more or less regular basis. Is that an indication that this DVD is Macrovision protected? The sound was normal. If I am just viewing the movie with this setup but not actually trying to download it to the PC, would the Macrovision property work, or should it only work if I am attempting to burn the DVD to my PC?

Maybe I should rent a DVD that for sure is Macrovision protected, so that I can tell if the ADVC-100 actually can decode it. Is there any particular wording on a DVD case that would indicate Macrovision protection?

Thanks again,
    Gardener

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

DVD"s have 2 Copy Protection Schemes, One is Macrovision which 99% of all DVD"s have and the other is CSS which is Encryption of which 99% of all DVD"s have..and yes when the Picture goes Bright and Dark ect that is caused From Macrovision....Cheers

10. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

Plus CCE or is it RCE ?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bedankt, Thanks,

Fugitive.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
  11. xolx

xolx Member

12. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

Did a search for : CGMS/A, i guess it's a updated
    version of Macrovision, but most devices that already
    can handle Macrovision, also overcome this new one,
    or do you know of protected DVD/VHS media, that has CGMS/A, and give problems ? would like to "test" this :) for obvious reasons.....;)

13. Cman

Cman Member

14. xolx

xolx Member

Hi. All protected DVD disks has CGMA/S
    This is digital mark which contains information like "Copy Once" or "Copy never"
    Only mentioned above www.xdimax.com and maybe few others really removes it. This problem is not critical for VHS because most of them has no CGMA/S but if you are going to capture or copy DVD you will not be able to do it with cheap simple video stabilizers.
    I had such one and it worked for VHS but once I've tested it on DVD with Philips DVDR75
    I got "copyright" message and could not go on. After I get xdimax I could record DVD.
    If you look good at the ebay items you could see that they are only for VCR (VCR do not
    detect CGMA/S). DVD Recorders and most Video capture cards do.

15. Cman

Cman Member

This is true, but with all the ripping applications out there, how often would a person use a ADVC to do DVD's? I was mostly referring to backing up VHS's instead and those blackboxes will do the job nicely..

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Most Capture devices only have Macrovision Detection they don"t have CGMS/A Detection...I know With my Cheap ATI Radeion VIVO I can Capture directly From a DVD Player to my PC Via a Video Stabilizer without any Image Distortion because My card only detects the Macrovision signal which is removed by the Video Stabilizer, Maybe there are some Capture cards that have the other Protection Detections built in just not the ones I have owned..But there is No reason to Capture From a DVD Player because you can simply Rip the DVD to your Hard drive in a Much Quicker time and Losslessly and it is also much easier to rip a DVD than to Capture it ....Cheers

17. xolx

xolx Member

You are right but you've mentioned yourself "cheap"
    video capture card. Most of advanced capture cards manufacturers had to ( and way was forced to do it ) adopt Macrovision 7.0 and 7.1 specification what
    cause to CGMA/S detection. This is not issue for
    VHS capturing and most of the people will not capture DVD's but dub them digitally. But looking forward this can became an issue for Video over IP broadcasting or capturing of commercial TV programs from set-top-box with macrovision output.
    CGMA/S becomes a BIG issue for owners of standalone DVD Recorders like Panasonic DMR, Philips DVDR and
    many others (http://www.xdimax.com/English/dvd_recorder.htm#comp_list). People who likes this "one touch button solution" can not record DVD with simple stabilizers.
    I'm waiting for this problem to be eliminated by manufacturers like region problem. ( Most of DVD players have codes to make them region free and seams this codes are "provided" by manufacturers themselves ).
    But seams this not going to happen. Macrovision gets strong this times.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  18. Minion

Minion Senior member

There are Certain Video Stabilizers that are Made for useing with DVD recorders...This one here Claime to remove all Copy Protection Schemes from all DVD Video ...
    http://www.dimax.com.ua/
    But it is about twice as expensive as a Regular Video stabilizer....Cheers