1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camcorder dvd editing software

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by phillik, Aug 11, 2004.

1. phillik

phillik Member

One of my family members just bought a Sony DVD-201 which uses the mini dvd media. They took footage of my wedding the past weekend and gave the disks to me to be compiled onto one disk with a dressed up menu and other stuff. My question is what software should I look into that will “rip” the files off of the mini dvd keeping it in dvd quality so I can edit it with Adobe Premiere and the make a disk with Adobe Encore. Unfortunately Premiere doesn’t have to option to pull video from a dvd. I also don’t have the camcorder with me. I have used #1 dvd Ripper and encoded it into Divx but the quality wasn’t all the great. I would also be appreciative if anyone knows of a forum for this area of editing camcorder dvd video, not just coping dvd movies.

Very Respectfully,
    Phil

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you Can rip the Vob files off of the Mini DVD"s useing something like "DVD Decryptor" or "Smartripper"
    once you have the Vob files on your Hardrive you will NOT be able to use Adobe Premier to Edit these Files..

VOB files generally Have Dolby AC3 audio which is Not supported By any versions of Adobe premier or Adobe Premier Pro , even if Premier did support AC3 it doesn"t support Native Mpeg editing so it will have to re-encode to render the Edited Files which would Greatly reduce the Quality....

I suggest that if you want to edit these Files with the AC3 audio and without degradeing the Video Quality that you Look into getting a Native Mpeg editor Like "Womble Mpeg2VCR" or "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" ,These are Frame accurate Mpeg editors that support AC3 audio and will not re-encode the Files to render them so it only take a few minutes to output the edited File as opposed to many Hours with premier and without the Quality degridation...
    These editors also can add simple effects and Transitions to the Video files....

There is a native Mpeg editing Plugin for Adobe Premier Pro that will allow you to edit without Degradeing the Quality but it is Very expensive at about $250 and it still doesn"t support Dolby AC3 audio so if you were to use it you would have to De-Multiplex the Vob files and decode the audio to Wav(LPCM) and load the audio and Video files seperately on the Premier Timeline....

If you need any more Info just ask....Cheers