1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder for Video diary, options?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by hanspet, Jan 16, 2008.

1. hanspet

hanspet Member

I need to start a diary of my life on video - sort of. I need to record at least 8 hours a day, every day. Can anyone recommend me an affordable option? Something portable, that I could carry around all day on my neck, recording my day's work? doesnt need to be high quality video.

thanks

Hans

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have no clue why you would need to do that. There is no way that you would have the time, or the hard drive space, to download all of that video.

Your "need" is .... well, I won't say it.

3. wrldrmr

wrldrmr Member

I have a solution for doing the recordings BUT, as prior noted, do you have the additional 8 hours per day it takes to transfer the video from the camera to another format so save $$$ and allow you to re-use the same memory cards each day?

OR do you have about $100 per day for 8 hours of new memory cards each day to avoid any need to transfer to another format? Do you have about $700 for needed top notch gear? Or there is a budget route for about $400. Both would permit filming from a neck size camcorder.

4. hanspet

hanspet Member

Hi,

I'd love to hear your suggestions. I guess I could leave the video transferring overnight... so those would be about 8 hours. I was thinking on having at least two cards, to be able to transfer the video while I keep recording... but I was unaware the transfer would take 8 hours!. I would like to learn about the 400 option, and perhaps the 700 option, although budget is a big issue, so I probably wont go there unless necessary, or if it is a really really good option. if you want, you can pm at hanspet@hotmail.com with the details of your options.

thanks!
    I have a solution for doing the recordings BUT, as prior noted, do you have the additional 8 hours per day it takes to transfer the video from the camera to another format so save $$$ and allow you to re-use the same memory cards each day?

OR do you have about $100 per day for 8 hours of new memory cards each day to avoid any need to transfer to another format? Do you have about $700 for needed top notch gear? Or there is a budget route for about $400. Both would permit filming from a neck size camcorder.

5. wrldrmr

wrldrmr Member

I just purchased the nifty Panasonic SDR-S150 3 chip 10oz Mpeg 2 camcorder for $529 delivered (J&R Music World). It touts the fact that LP filming equals SP quality and I agree. Soooo, using 4GB cards that should run at 2 1/2 hours each you need three cards. Then totally avoid using a computer by exporting from the camcorder's SVHS out to either a DVD recorder or a good old VHS recorder. You could leave the recording unattended each 2 1/2 hours the camera is running. This is the total $700 cost option.

I used Panasonic's also neat as a button SDR-S10 Mpeg 2 CAMCORDER which is only 8 oz and totally made for wearing around the neck. Same 4GB cards. This model cost only $230 on sale at Circuit City BUT no SVHS output just regular RCA A/V outs and of course not a 3 chip quality camera. But still would do the job and output to VHS or DVD via analog RCA cable could be quite acceptable where you do not require top quality.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I do like J&R Music World. One year ago, I got my Sony DCR-HC96, from them. Good prices, and good service.

I just wonder who the hell will watch the OP's 2,920 hours of video, each year. ROFLMAO!

7. hanspet

hanspet Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up buying a really cheap option, a RCA camera (EZ201BK) for about 100 at newegg.com, it really simple, the downside is that it only takes up to 2 gig sd cards, which only let me record about 3 hours. but it works ok, I have 4 sd cards, so I just replace them as they fill up. The other problem were the batteries, they drain after less than 2 hours... but I bought rechargeable batteries, which I can charge in 15 min, so I just need to change batteries and the memory every few hours... and i can record pretty much my whole day. All for under 200.

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Really, why do you have to film yourself for 8 hours every day?