1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can nero burn in 8x,12x, or 16x with pioneer dvr-108?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pharmdogg, Sep 24, 2004.

1. pharmdogg

pharmdogg Guest

mine will only allow me to burn at 4x max. I didn't buy the pioneer to burn at 4x so is it my software that has an issue? if so, which software allows those higher burnings speeds? I have firmware 1.14.

TIA

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

what blank media are you using? 4x?

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

If your doing video backups, I personally wouldn't recommend burning over 4X. Increases your chances of errors. That's just my opinion but you will find others that agree.

4. vietorisz

vietorisz Member

I have a brand new Pioneer 108, patched it with NIL's firmware hack, and succesfully burned at an incredible 8X speed a dvd back up from my hard drive in 7'23" on a Ritek GO4 4X disc! Although the speed chosen was 16X the time elapsed shows of course that the speed was 'only" 8X. I'm perfectly satisfied. Go to rpc1.org for more details. Also, a little bit odd copying on the fly with Alcohol 120% allowed an average of 5.1 burning speed but this is because my source drive has unlocked ripping speed.

5. pharmdogg

pharmdogg Guest

yep, you guys got it, I use the Ritek G04 4x media. I know this stuff can be burned at 8x with no problems, but the nero only allows me to do 4x. So the firmware hack is the only way? Or do I have to buy 8x media to do this? Thanks for all the respones.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Why on earth do you 'patch' your burner to allow 8x burning onto a 4x disc??????????????????????I think you will require a new burner before me....LOL....

The Pioneer is capable of burning upto 16x with compatible media/software........out of the box, firmware patch is not a necessity................

It always amazes me, people buy an optical dvdrom or dvd burner and connect it up, and the main priority first is to flash the firmware..............I must be really old as I WOULD only flash my drive if it HAD to be flashed and not because of an iduced trend similar to nokia phones a couple of years ago..........

You may require an updated version of Nero to burn at quicker speeds, but as has been suggested 4x speed is the safest.
    Afterall, you can have a nice relaxing cup of horlicks and a quick wordsearch in 15mins for 4x - you can't do that in 7 mins...............

I have the Pioneer 108 and Recordnow deluxe suite 7.2 with the updated pxengine.
    This gives me the option of burning at 12x (do not actually use 12x), I always burn at 4x - good solid burns, and no chance of the disc shattering internally trying to burn a 4x disc at 8x (via stupid firmware flashing) and 'thronging' my burner.............
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  7. sickmunki

sickmunki Member

baabaa You're wrong, a 4x disc can be burned at 8x successfully, and the speed increase is more than enough to warrant a patch to the drive. I personally have a Plextor that burns 4x at 8x, and when I purchased the Pioneer 108 it wouldn't burn 4 at 8. So I patched the drive, maybe I'm just young, and want a speed increase. Now I can burn CMC 2x discs at 12x and 16x (12x is faster for hardware limitations of the Pioneer) successfully, and have watched them many times.
    ;)
    Mike

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I thought my comments may induce something..........

I don't recall saying that 4x discs could not be burned successfully at 8x...........................and do not accuse me of making statements that clearly I have NOT WRITTEN.(No arguements)

What I was actually saying, is that due to the physical makeup of the disc and laser power required in order to burn it at a faster speed, it is a conceivable situation that the disc CAN SHATTER...............I have seen it first hand, so do not change my comments to something I did not originally state.
    Get your facts right BEFORE making a statement like that...............

Manufacturers rate their media at a recommended speed.
    A firmware flash, changes the way the burner recognises the id on the disc, and therefore enables you to burn it quicker, it does not mean the disc is SAFE to burn at a higher speed.
    If the disc shatters, you will be very lucky to have a working burner afterwards.........

If you are successfully burning 4x at 8x, then good for you..........I have nothing against it.

I was just highlighting the current trend of firmware flashing to in order to make equipment perform outside their specifications.............

This has gone a little off topic, so enough said here........

Apologies if it came out a little strong, but you caught me in mid-thought(strange place for me to be in).......LOL
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  9. sickmunki

sickmunki Member

Baabaa
    I may have misquoted you earlier in saying that you said it couldn't be done successfully. But it seemed to me what you were driving at was that the disc would shatter?!? I've heard of this happening > 16x in laboratories, but the pioneer gets nowhere near those speeds.

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Nope, not that it would shatter, but that it could/might or may shatter.....

No guarantees in life......

Also it is just not a shatter instance that can lead to damage.
    The fact that you are 'ignoring' the disc id aswell can cause problems, the optic can go into a 'hangup' condition as it is trying to calibrate to the disc, meaning that the optic is getting over energised and this could eventually lead to permanent damage.

But let's not take this out of context, these occurances are not common but are feasible possibilites.

Just a warning, when you change specifications of ANY device outside the original manufacturers specifications you will always run a risk of inducing problems, don't forget the OEM have the equipment to FULLY test run to destruction any change, whereas these other companies who are offering 'patches' have not properly bench tested there burners to destruction...........

The choice is yours, but personally I would not do it just to get extra burn speed............

11. tricky1

tricky1 Member

Replying to the original post.
    I did a hardware flash to my pioneer 107d I find that certain discs will burn with 8x some 6x some 4x and some only 2x. My memorex dvd-r will burn at 8x I burnt the same dvd on memorex at 8x and at 4x I couldnt discern any visible difference while playing back.
    I have kodak dvd-r that will not burn faster than 4x In fact some will only burn at 2x Yet on my friends computer with the same pioneer 107d these dvd's will burn at 8x no problem.Who knows :) Hypermedia that will not burn faster than 6x
    As far as burning up the dvd drive while doing this, in my humble opinion the drive will probably become obsolete before it breaks like most computer parts :)

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......No more flogging the donkey PLEASE...............

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

LOL! Kids never change do they Sir Baabaa?

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL........Yes, I just must be TOO old and set in my ways being a Knight of the old code........LOL

15. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Wish I had money to throw away on a burnt up drive that isn't covered by warranty cause I hacked the firmware.

16. tricky1

tricky1 Member

Ha Ha like I said, it will be obsolete before it burns up,
    My drive has long since passed its warranty period.
    It seems that I replace everything on the computer every two years anyway except my trusty viewsonic monitor.

LOL........Yes, I just must be TOO old and set in my ways being a Knight of the old code........LOL

As far as being a kid.....I retired last year, plan to pick up my OAP next year....but no I am not set in my ways....allways trying to push the envelope so to speak

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  17. Nephilim

I was just fooling around tricky1 and intended nothing personal.

Sir Baabaa and I are certainly set in our ways but it's a byproduct of our experiences. DVD technology isn't mature yet and the manufacturers are pushing the speeds faster than the media can reliably work at.

I'm all for speed increases but when, and only when, they can be reached with the same reliability and compatibility of the next lower burn speed but that hasn't been achived yet beyond 4X.

18. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Still loving that.........any chance I can alter my nick to it?

We'll see if you come back in a couple of months asking why you can't even burn at 2x...........I know I won't..............

tricky1, what do you regularly use your burner for then?

Yes, aren't we all, but don't you think sometimes thats where the problem lies, as alot of the time it develops into a trend rather than logical progression.

Too true, give me a reliable 8x disc and we will all be using them - and no need for patches.......lovely....

There are no shortcuts around technology, if there were, the initial technolgy would not be released.......it is called innovation - this occurs after invention................

Anyways, nice to see this thread turn out to be topical afterall, as I thought for one moment it could swing the other way.

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  19. Nephilim

Got my vote :) Hope you didn't mind my speaking for you though :p

Very true. I was never too comfortable with the firmwares that allowed burning a disc faster than it's rated speed. I know some folks have done it very successfully but I'm just funny that way.

I wasn't pleased when some of the 4X RICOHJPNR01 media that I burned at 8X in my Plextor 708A skipped all over creation in a certain Hitachi player but played flawlessly when I reburned the same files to the same media only at 4X. That was deal breaker for me :)

20. tricky1

tricky1 Member

I have a dvb card in the computer and record programs 1-1/2 to 2+ hours to mpeg, convert and author them to dvd about 10 per week or more depending on how much time I have. Then I burn two copies one for a friend of mine. I try to set my recording time to during the night.
    I use mostly memorex disks after several trys at different brands. I find they are more compatable with the panasonic dvd player I have in my system.