1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Windows Media Player recognize mp4?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mccannjo, May 29, 2007.

1. mccannjo

mccannjo Member

I installed ffdshow and haali on my computer so that I could watch MP4 files in WMP. It works fine, but my library won't recognize MP4 files as media files. In order to play MP4 in WMP, I have to tell the "open" dialogue box to look for "all files" rather than "all media files". Is there any way to change this? My goal is to be able to view my MP4 video files as thumbnails in my WMP library.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

some where in the options there is list of file types windows media player supports, some will be selected others wont, it does this so you can set it to default on your other players (quicktime, realplayers), just select them all, many of your file types will have the windows media player logo on them making them opening up by default with it, to go around this just right click open with,i watch mp4 files on it all the time, cheers

if there isn't a mp4 option then update your player or go get a codec for it at www.free-codecs.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007