1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot play/burn/rip DVD-R...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Napalm97, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

I had a friend create a DVD from a Camcorder. His method was directly from the Cam to the DVD with no computer involved (I guess?).

It is a Maxell DVD-R, and it does not play in my computer. It's probably because of the reason above. However, the DVD does play in regular DVD players, like my PS2.

OK, the actual question: since this DVD does not play in my computer at all, how can I make a copy of it to give to friends?? Is there a program specifically for this? Is the only way to copy/duplicate with a standard DVD recorder? Hope somebody can help... cheers,

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

you can use IMGburn Read(to rip to HDD), then ImgBurn write(to burn to blank dvd)

DL Imgburn HERE

3. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

That does not really do anything. When I use IMGburn, it says "Disc Is Empty". My computer does not recognize the "format". However, standalone DVD players play and recognize the "format". Since the computer does not recognize the DVD, I obviously cannot read/rip it... is it impossible to copy it then? Will a standalone DVD recorder/copier work?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

5. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

I have a NEC 3550A... it has all updated firmware from the official site.

Of course it plays other DVD movies. It plays all of them, regardless of how they were done, EXCEPT this. He "dubbed the original footage (Hi-8) with a video editing program, then went from the VCR to DVD". That DVD is the one I have, and it doesn't work in my computer. Only standalone DVD players like PS2 work.

Is it a problem with a firmware? Should I try an unofficial version? But I don't know about flashing... pretty risky

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sounds like Camcorder to Stand alone tv dvd recorder.If your drive doesn't recognize it,you cannot back it up.

1) Try another burner or dvd-rom drive in your pc,if you can locate one-beg/borrow/or steal one,LOL.

If you got empty tower space, add a separate dvd-rom drive.They usually fare better at reading dvd backups.You'll then have dual drives,making for an easier dvd backup process. These can be had at Newegg.com for under $30

2)Depending on the drive that burned that maxell dash backup,see if that drive had dual format capability,and have your friend burn another copy using the plus format.If no dual format capability,then have him/her try another brand of dash format like Verbatim.

Your NEC 3550A is having a compatability issue with that Maxell dash backup-giving a no disc error.You PS2 plays it ok,so it's a good backup copy.

All dvd drives-stand alones/pc/and game consoles-can have compatability issues when it comes to reading dvd backups.They are more difficult to read,as apposed to original dvd-rom format dvds. Some drives can pick out a certain MID code of media,burn engines,and even have trouble reading backups from certain dvd recorders- both pc and stand alone tv recorders.

The backups off my tv recorder definitely have a lower compatability rate.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes as Saug has pointed out there is a problem taking a copied DVD from a stand alone DVD player, but I have had great sucess using Nero Vision Express for this even though nothing else recognized the disk NVE did so you might want to give that a try you can get free trial version at Nero.com