1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot read DVD-R but can read DVD-RW !!!

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Dave1102, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Dave1102

Dave1102 Member

Not sure if this is hardware or software, but it's weird.

I have a Dell Dimension 3100, running under Windows XP2, with two optical drives:

NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A which came with the PC
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B which was taken from a old Dell machine

If I burn a DVD-R with Nero 7 on the NEC with three 1.4GB files (total 4.2GB) the NEC cannot read back the data (Windows says "It cannot read from this disk"), but the HL-DT-ST can.

If I do the same thing with a DVD-RW, both drives can read the disk

I nomally use Ritek disks, but I've also tried TDK and DataWrite (Titanium) It doesn't seem to matter what I use, the results are the same.

The DVD-R disk that the NEC refuses to read, works fine in other machines, both DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives, although I haven't got another NEC to test against at the moment

Strangely, there doesn't seem to be a problem with DVD+R, they work perfectly.

However, ISOBuster (which can't read the disks either), may provide the cause. It's reporting that the DVD-R disk is formatted as a DVD-RW. I suspect this is confusing Windows as to the header block layout and causing it to read junk. As Nero writes this info, I'm busily composing an email to them. Although it doesn't explain how other drives can read the disk.

Anyone else heard of this ?

D

2. attar

attar Senior member