1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant boot Xbox DVDs with new DDU1612 DVD drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Stumble, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Stumble

Stumble Member

I've just recently replaced my Xbox Philips DVD ROM drive with a Sony DDU1612, as per these tutorial instructions: http://dwl.xbox-scene.net/~xbox/xbo...the_Xbox_DVDROM_drive_with_a_Sony_DDU1612.pdf

The good news is that the drive ejects, and recognises and plays my divx CDRs without a problem (yippee!!) but the bad news is that it won't boot from a game DVD or a video DVD disk.

The strange thing I have noticed is that when I browse the files on the game DVD disk, using XBMC, it does not show any of the XBEs. Is this why it can't boot from the game DVDs?? Is there something about connecting this DVD drive to the XBox that I've missed?

2. akoli

akoli Member

I'm pretty sure that normal pc dvd drives can not read original xbox games due to the different file type(Xiso) the only benefit of using a normal dvd drive is it can read realy crappy media types that the xbox struggles with. I could be wrong but... dont think so.

Hence when you need to copy and original xbox game you have to connect your pc to the xbox via FTP and copy the content across rather than just bung it in your pc and copy away.