1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't burn 16x, but 8x discs work fine

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by angryred, Jul 12, 2007.

1. angryred

angryred Member

I have a Memorex DVD+/-DLRWL1 F16. I'm using Nero 6.6.0.18 and Nerovision 3.1.0.25-- I settled on those versions after fails with others, and after many successful burns with no coasters, I worry about making changes without being absolutely sure what I'm doing.

The problem is that the drive won't recognize 16x dvd-r's. I learned this after using up the supply of 8x's (Memorex) I got with the burner, and bought a stack of 16x Memorex dvd-r's-- the error message I get in Nero CD-DVD Speed is "CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT (023005)". I have also tried Vebatim 16x's with no luck (at least these fails don't produce coasters as they reject the disc immediately).

I was fortunate enough to find one of those giant stacks of 8x's on closeout at Office Depot, but I haven't seen any on a shelf since and the ones I have are about to run out.

I'm thinking maybe I need a firmware update or another Nero version, but as I said, with as much tweaking as I had to do to get it to work reliably in the first place, I'm very hesitant to go mucking about with it until I'm sure I know what I'm doing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Below I'm posting the log of a failed test burn with a Verbatim 16x DVD-R, and an InfoTool log.

16x burn fail
    InfoTool
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

from the look of your log you are using the newest firmware for your memorex drive, and that firmware was released like 3 years ago, and there hasn't been a newer one since, so that is why you are having trouble with the 16x media since there is no write strategies for them.

1 option would be to buy a new burner(since there will be no new firmwares), you can get really good ones for around $30

another option is to buy media from online, you can still get 8x disc online, however that is not going to last.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  3. angryred

angryred Member

OK, I see the deal now, having noticed something I didn't before; that the drive only burns 16x in +R (duuur), which I haven't tried. I settled on -R early on because I wanted my burned DVDs to work in my Playstation 2, which isn't even a consideration any more. I'll try 16x +Rs and see how that goes. Any known advantages/disadvantages between +Rs and -Rs?

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Only advantages/disadvantages are compatability issues like you are experiencing, some stand alone players like-R, some like +R, others like +R burned as DVD-ROM. Pick the type which gives better results for your burner/standalone players. Personally I use -R because all of my players will play them. I don't see any difference in video quality or ease of burning, just my older Philips player only likes -R disks, that's all.

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If your funds are sufficient and you have space for a new DVD burner, by all means get another DVD burner(not a memorex), use the first old one to rip with and the second newer one to burn those newer dvds with. 3 year old firmware isn't the best. Drives are cheap at newegg.com . Get some new blank dvds (not memorex) such as Verbatims, Taiyo Yudens or Maxell or Sony made in Japan. Office depot's house brands are good and cheap also (either Ricohjpn or Riteks.)

Edit: Under no circumstances mess with your version of Nero 6.6.0.18 is a great one and the one I use. nero 7 has been buggy off and on depending on which version.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007