1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't burn any DVDs at all - Help!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JasD, Dec 4, 2003.

1. JasD

JasD Guest

Have a gigabyte 7n400 Pro2 board with an Athlon XP 2600+ and Sony DW-U10a DVD+-R .

My problem is I can't seem to burn any DVDs at all. So far have produced 10 coasters. Only success has been is with a DVD-RW. Tried Nero and Ez CD. After clicking the burn button DVD-R (Mirror Platinum 4x also tried datawrite) gets to 1% and then just fails a few seconds later....although did manage 11% once. Have tried changing DMA settings to UDMA 33 and Multi Word DMA 2, checked bios but with no luck. Also have changed master/slave setting, changed IDE's.

Are there any issues with this board and that burner, or am I missing something. Please help. I feeling like getting a hammer and smashing the drive into little pieces!!

2. malum

malum Regular member

If you can try it in another machine you can either eliminate a faulty drive or add evidence to the fauly drive theory.

If you are running Win XP have you installed the ASPI layer?

3. JasD

JasD Guest

I havn't installed the ASPI layer, but I thought Nero and its own ASPI drivers.

Do I need specific ASPI drivers for the board / DVDROM or generic. And where can I get them from. I'm a total newbie with DVD burning but have never had problems with CD writing with my Liteon CDR.

Any help is appreciated

4. malum

malum Regular member

5. JasD

JasD Guest

Have tried ez cd 6 and also MySonic DVD.

What I don't understand is why dvd rw's burn at 2.4x speed. Normal dvd-r fail at even 1x.

6. malum

malum Regular member

another thing:

have you checked that the drives are actually in DMA mode?
    XP will default to PIO mode no matter what the settings are if it encounters 6 errors. The only way to get it back into DMA mode is to uninstall the IDE channels from the device manager and then reboot

7. JasD

JasD Guest

In device manager under ide interfaces it shows that the drive is running in udma 33 mode and i have tried changing these settings. Just because of all this i totally wiped my hard drive and done a clean install of xp still with no luck. Does a normal CDR also require the aspi layer because I have no problems with this.

8. malum

malum Regular member

I believe not, but I could be wrong.

9. Craic

Craic Member

I can only suggest try using DVDShrink and Burnatonce (both free with great step by step guides available).

By changing software you may be able to narrow down if it is a hardware/media issue.

10. JasD

JasD Guest

In terms of configuration I have tried all the IDE positions primary and secondary master and slave. Tried udma33 and multiword dma 2 all with no luck. I have the latest board bios. The drivers I am using are the official nvidia ones, latest versions. Also have tried installing ASPI layer as suggested. Just burnt a CDR with my liteon a few minutes ago with my current setup with no problems at all.

I am sure its not a media issue as it fails a about 20 seconds after clicking burnt.

Think its the hardware

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

JasD, It just seems to me that if you are having success with one type of media (-RW) and difficulties with another (-R) then the media is the most likely problem. Have you tried other brands of media? You can also see by the specs That your DVD-RW speed is correct at 2.4X.

Type of Drive: DVD+RW and CD-RW Combination Drive
    Access Time: 200 ms
    Interface: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
    Internal/External: Internal
    Load Type: Tray
    System Type: PC
    CD Rewrite Speed: 10 X (CD,CD-R)
    CD Write Speed: 24 X (CD,CD-R)
    CD-ROM Read Speed: 40 X (CD,CD-R)
    DVD+R Speed: 2.5 X (DVD, DVD-R)
    DVD+RW Speed: 2.5 X (DVD, DVD-R)
    DVD-R Speed: 4 X (DVD, DVD-R)
    DVD-ROM Read Speed: 12 X (DVD, DVD-R)
    DVD-RW Speed: 2.4 X (DVD, DVD-R)
    Cache Size: 8 MB
    Simple programs like Shrink and Burnatonce work very well. BTW what version of Nero are you using? Nero 6 Ultra supplied and installed ASPI and Gear drivers when I bought it and has never been an issue for me.
    Remember when you get frustrated that lots of us had problems at first but we sorted things out eventually and you will too!
    They are just DVDs!
    Good luck,
    Frank :D