1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't burn DVD's. Am I just a loser?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by waste, Mar 9, 2005.

1. waste

waste Member

Hi there,

I recently got a year-old, but still shrink-wrapped LITE-ON DVD+-RW/+-R drive as a gift, slapped it in my XP SP2 box, and discovered that while I'm a whiz with my old CD burner, I'm clueless when it comes to burning DVD's.

The first thing I did was read up some on what free tools were available, and downloaded DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and microsoft's ISO mounting tool. I then used decrypter to rip the DVD I wanted to back up, and used shrink to generate a resized ISO for burning. Mounted as a virtual drive, the movie on the ISO played fine. I then used Decrypter to burn the ISO to DVD. The resulting DVD worked a little, but playback froze 15 minutes in, and never returned, on both my PC DVD ROM and my DVD player.

On the advice of an article I found online, I installed ASPI to try to make things better. Instead, things got worse. Now when I use Decrypter to burn the ISO to DVD, the resulting disc is not even recognized as DVD media by the drive that burned it moments after the burn completes.

Desperate to see if my hacking had done any real damage, I tried to use the software that came with my drive to make a simple data disc with a few files on it. Again, the resulting disc is not even recognized as DVD media by the drive that burned it moments after the burn completes.

Arrgh! What have I done? Can I even BE helped?
    This unaccustomed newb is desperate...

Extra Data: The ripping and burning processes generated no errors I am aware of. My data burning software is Sonic RecordNow DX. I'm sure there's 30 things I'll get yelled at for not providing, but this is all I can think of ATM...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok lets try this a step at a time...

Step 1
    Make sure you have updated the firmware for that drive. Here is a link that will get you close because you didnt supply the make I got as close as I could http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm

Step 2
    What brand/type of DVD media are you using?

Step 3
    Make sure your drives are set to DMA mode. You can do this by going into device manager and clicking on IDE/ATAPI controllers then double click on each drive and under advance make sure the setting are on DMA if avail.

It sounds like you are backing up the movie properly because you can watch it on your puter with no problem. I am leaning towards the firmware beeing the issue here since the drive is a year old.

3. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

What kind of media are you using because freezing of a movie could be in result to bad media.

4. waste

waste Member

I knew I missed stuff. My drive's model number is LDW-411S. The media I'm using are the 20 CompUSA/Princo discs that came with the drive. I also have a batch of Taiyo Yuden that I'm told are a good brand, I just haven't cracked them open yet. My devices are all set to DMA if avail. I already knew about that from burning CD's.

I've just done the flash upgrade. I'll try to burn again, and see what happens...

5. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

use your taiyo yudens this time and from what I also hear they are the best.

6. waste

waste Member

Success!

The flash upgrade must have done it! Not only did it burn correctly, but it's playable in a DVD player AND it burned at 2X, rather than the 1X that was all the burner would do before.

Thanks so much bbmayo, you got me right up and running...

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problem :) glad to help, and glad that you got her workin' By the way the Taiyo yudens are the best disk you can get!!