1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't continue playing .avi video I downloaded from net

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Boomsly, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

I downloaded a gumball 3000 video from gofastvideo.com
    heres the link to the movie http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/getitem/143/1/aaq.avi I tried playing the video in windows media player all I get is "windows media player has encountered an unkown error" usefull. So I open up divx open the file, it starts to play 10 mins and 33 secs later it just stops no error messages, nothing. The video is supposed to be 41:36 according to divx and g-spot. In the 4cc box of g-spot it says I need the div3 codec.
    I have 4 compatible codecs:

DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Low-Motion
    DivX ;-) Hi-Res Video Decompressor
    DivX Decoder Filter
    Divx Decoder Filter

I don't know why the last two show up twice but they do.

I think divx is using the decoder filter codec. I want to know how to switch it to one of the other two. to see if it works. any help would be appreciated.

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

I would say that is more likely a downloading problem and not a codec problem.

On my cable Internet connection I can download the file in about seven minutes. I used a download manager. The first time I downloaded the file I had the download manager using multiple threads to download the file. There was a problem playing the file as it would stop at the point where the first and second download threads were put together. I then downloaded the file a second time using the same download manager but instead set it to use a single download thread. This second download using a single thread played fine.

It played fine in Windows Media Player using FFDSHOW.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

3. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

thankyou veblin, I had download accelerator plus (dap) but I can't seem to limit the mirrors to only one so I'm trying a different download manager called download studio, hopefully it works. Thanks again for the help very much appreciated.

4. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

holy crap, the downloads already done this download accelerator isn't lying when it says it boosts speeds upto 500% it's regular speed is 256kb/sec and downloaded in 1:50 on a regular 300k connection thats nuts! anyways the file works thanks again.