1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't create FTP server....

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Pop_Smith, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hi everyone, my friend and i wanted to make FTP servers so we could share each others files, but, i can't get an FTP server to work, (he is working and told me that he would look into setting one up once i got mine going)

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1491&page=3

I followed that guide but, i am stuck, where you are supposed to be able to see your computer on the IIS list, mine is empty and IIS can't find my computer.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Myself, I wouldn't mess with IIS, it has more holes than a screen door. There are plenty of other FTP Daemons that are a lot better - Bullet Proof FTP Server, Serve-U, WarFTPd, and WSFTP Server to name a few. Most have free trials or in the case of War its freeware.

3. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

I had a lot of problems with IIS as well. Then I got Serv U and it was cake. Easiest thing ever to do. Try it out.

4. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

There is a lot to be said for not using IIS which is hard work at the best of times. Though there is a sense of satisfaction if you can defeat it and get it working.

Silly question I am sure - you have actually loaded IIS and FTP Options - you need to check in Add Remove Programs - Windows Options.

If you want to persist with IIS - I guess you have worked through the IIS help file in XP - though it is sometimes hard to believe that they are written in English.

Let me know if you are planning to use IIS and I'll try to talk you through the setup

Phil

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004