1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't erase Verbatim DVD-RW on Philips DVDR 1620K Drive and Nero

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Thombeal, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Thombeal

Thombeal Member

I got this Philips DVDR1620k/00 drive a few months ago. it's comes with Nero 6 i think, have had no problems burning data or video to Mirror DVD+R, TDK DVD-R and Ritek DVD-R, but i got a Verbatim DVD-RW disc, which burnt video fine onto it, but when i've tried to erase it, it's said either that the drive cannot erase the disc, or that the disc is not re-writable and cannot erase, and it IS a rewritable disc! What can be done? should i try to upgrade the firmware or could that cause other problems which are not currently there?

Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check for updates for nero

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I just had about the same problem erasing my +rw's. When I went through nero,it gave me an error and booted me off. I just used nero clean tool to remove my nero 6.0.0.21b/ran my registry scan-fixed those errors/defragged that hard drive/and then re-booted my original disc and now I can quick erase or full erase.

You may want to try that before a firmware update.

There are different nero clean tools for version 5 and 6,and make sure you have your serial # written down.

Here is the nero clean tool:http://ww2.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html

If you do update nero, avoid the packet "INCD-4". This can screw you up.

Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  4. Thombeal

Thombeal Member

Thanks, I've tried both the clean and ungrading nero, but it still claims that the disc is not rewritable. After that message comes up, it sort of freezes for a few seconds, and when i tried to do disc information, it wouldn't do anything even after leaving it for a few minutes!

Any more idea?

thanks!

5. ddp

try the disk in another burner as might be toast

6. Thombeal

Thombeal Member

I haven't been able to try the disc on another recorder yet, but the disc still plays back fine, just won't erase. I bought some TDK DVD+RW discs, and they burn and erase as they should do. I'm still a little confused about it, maybe it was the make of the disc, or that it was a -RW rather than a +RW (although the drive is a + and - drive and burns both DVD+R and DVD-R)

Thanks!

7. ddp

if you try in another drive & still won't erase than possibility the disk is a coaster