1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't figure out what format of file I downloaded?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by kenpone, Oct 9, 2003.

1. kenpone

kenpone Guest

I downloaded a file called swjkja.part1.exe and I can't figure out if it is a .bin, .iso, zip, etc. WinISO says it is an unsupported format. Changing the .exe file extension to .bin or .iso doesn't seem to help either. Any help burning this game would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Hehe... i've seen this too many times....

Well... for starters... exe is for executable .. why everyone keeps trying to rename it to BIN/CUE/ISO boggles me.

What does executable mean? It means that you RUN it. So take your two files (part1 and part2), put them in the same folder and run the swjka.part1.exe. Simple as that.

You dont burn this. You just run it to install JK3. If you really want to burn it, just the 2 fies as a DataCD.

Keep it simple. Things work better like that.

3. JaniSJ

JaniSJ Guest

Can mr. Praetor give an answer to this question also:

Is it possible to run the swjkja.exe if the size of the .exe -file is larger than the size of the physical memory installed in your system.

I'm having 512MB of ddr sdram -memory in my system and I can't get the installation start.

4. Praetor

Sure. :)

Yes! The physical memory in your system does not limit the size of executable required to run! (well... not always)

Are you sure you have completely downloaded it? Maybe corruption?

5. woefpiep

woefpiep Member

hi,

I've also downloaded these files but they just don't work. My computer says that I don't have enough memory in my computer. I've got 128 MB. How can I play this game? Please help me!! I've have downloaded both full files.

6. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

i havent seen anyone who has gotten those to work yet.

7. Praetor

Well then guess what? (1) Buy more memory or (2) you wont be able to play

They work fine you just have the system requirements (and be able to install it)

8. johan_tre

johan_tre Guest

Look mate, I dunno what u are doing here w8sting peoples time, pretending that an .exe of that size could work on a windows system... Besides, I have about the same system as yours and this exe does NOT start at all, just like the others.
    I wandered why, and had a look into the file with an hex editor...

This dl is a fake one, look in it with a hex editor, and you'll know enough.

This dl is to [bold]BUG people, w8st peoples time, and to [bold]BUG kazaa's resources with worthless dl's.

Indeed, guess what, there is no one that could make this dl work.

And another thing, why did the provider not give a [bold].iso???? The size is about the same, and at least you could burn it!!! Believe me, if it would have been a real dl, it would have been a proper format too!

CU

9. Praetor

1. It works. I've tried.
    2. Who said anything about Kazaa?
    3. This release was available before the game came out.

Watch your tone. This is an online community to help people.

Perhaps you should look back to some news/logs/blogs circa August 2003.

10. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I will also wade in here,

Praetor, whilst being a few sandwiches short of a picnic, is incredibly knowledgeable and is a great deal of help on these forums and also happens to be a moderator.

We have many rules here, some of which we are leanient about when the mood takes us.

Moderator bashing is NOT one of them.

Moderators can ban people just for farting in the wrong direction, so lets all play nicely.

;-)

Paul.

11. Praetor

Teeeheee ... yeah... good mood.... grrrrrr.... dsytasg :mad: :mad: ...... yeah... good mood.... :)
    - Damn mood swings -

12. loaded

Yeah, like I said, all the wheels on his shopping trolley don't go in the same direction, but we keep him around for medical research and he is fun to bring out at parties.

Paul.

13. johan_tre

johan_tre Guest

Strange that u are the only one claiming that it works eh ...

1) Those files come mostly from kazaa or some sort service.
    2) It seems you cannot help those guys either. The probl remains:)
    3) Since this is a community to HELP people, you should help them iso w8sting their time making them believe "it works" :-D
    4) And if it really works, can you give those poor users some links/sites/anything to [bold]help[/bold] them out?

I've been looking into that file with a hex editor, and there is nothing but garbage mate.

They have more chance to change the extention to .avi and run it in media player. Wouldn't surprise me if it would be playable.

greetz

14. johan_tre

johan_tre Guest

HAHAAAA, what did i tell ya?!

The stupid file is even a proper .avi format for windows media player! I just tested it out.
    Nothing to see but a black screen, but mediaplayer accepts it.

Ever heard of a .exe that is a valid .avi at the same time??? eh???

See, I'm always right.

At least this comment [bold]HELPS[/bold] those poor users hoping to find a game in there.

greetz

15. Praetor

Listen noob:

Just because you got the files from Kazaa doesnt mean that everyone gets stuff from Kazaa. And there's no need to explain but i will for completness sake: Kazaa is crap.

I try child i try. I dont see you helping. Sure you suggest that they give up. But that's not really a solution but rather a cheap cope-out isnt it?

As i said before, just because you downloaded a fake off Kazaa doesnt neccesarily mean the rest of the world did. You are not the l33t haxor you think you are. Observe that it was not stated what P2P program was used to acquire this game.

Dont you read the rules? Or are you just illiterate? If not then you should realize that i cannot post links to pirated material.

While you have been looking.... I have been playing.

Lol child... you can get damn near any file to open with windows media player is you renamed it.

You were warned... yet still you contribute nothing and just sit back and criticize. -Click-_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  16. loaded

I don't think Praetor is playing with a full desk of cards today.

In fact, I feel he might only be playing with the jokers.

Anyway, it seems Queen were right...

...another one bites the dust.

I'll just wait for it to settle.

Paul ;-)

PS : This is an online community, it is a good one and it is free, but I can't understand why some people think it would run better it there was no one to keep an eye on things. Ho hum.

17. bolshin

bolshin Member

Hey, although you guys have been arguing about JK3 and how kazaa sucks, no one has actually told us [bold]where[/bold] you can download JK3 that actually works because i have been downloading it from kazaa and it is almost done, but now hearing this info that it is a bad file and shouldnt be downloaded from kazaa doesnt help me in ways in where i [bold]can[/bold] download it from????????????????
    and please.. i would like praetor to answer this (NOT johan_tre)! :)

18. Praetor

Hehe sorry dude cant talk about piracy here. But i will point you in the general direction.... (1) dont use Kazaa, (2) Try emule/overnet it is simple to setup and get going... thats all i can say.

Edit: since it is almost dont, let it finish... you never know you might get lucky._X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  19. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

thanks a lot for all the concern and help, but the specific files they are talkin about do not work. I'm sure there are some out there that do, but these ones arent it.

u cant talk about piracy? this is what this whole thread was about. :p

20. bolshin

bolshin Member

Hey, I downloaded Overnet and I was wondering if in order to actually download files do you have to register and pay?
    If not, I do not know how to download JK3
    so if Praetor can help me thanx