1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get a small file size when encoding

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by JVIikel, Mar 24, 2007.

1. JVIikel

JVIikel Member

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to encode some 3d video tutorials I created. I used Camtasia to record the screen. The problem is, I can't seem to get a file size under 1.8 gigs. I've tried different encoders, like sorensen 3, but I'd like to use divx or xvid. The dimensions of the video are 1027x624, and the video is an 1 hour and 4 minutes.

Most of the encodes I've done have resulted in files that max out my harddrive.

I would like the file to be around +-500 megs.

Thanks for your help!

Does anybody have any tips for doing

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Generally speaking a screen capture codec will work better for screen captures than a codec like DivX or Xvid. That said size is just bitrate * runtime. So set the bitrate to the right value and you get the right size. Whether your tutorial is watchable at the resulting quality is a different matter though.

Xvid should have an edge over DivX since it can drop duplicate frames.

3. JVIikel

JVIikel Member

Thanks for your reply! That helped me understand a lot.

Somethings fishy though. I'm encoding one right now, in DivX, and it's at 3.0%, and in the temp folder where the file is written to, it's already at 6.5 gigs. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.

Therefore:

200(kb/sec)*60sec*60min = 720,000 kb. I'm encoding without audio.

So how is it then that my filesize is so large so early in the encoding process?

now i'm at 13.5 and my filesize is at 30 gigs. so once I get to 100 percent, my filesize will be around 100/13.5= 7.4*30gigs= 222gigs which means my bitrate is 222,000,000kb/60min/60sec = 61,666kb = ~62mb/sec...

I may have done a ton of math wrong, but this doesn't make sense to me.

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. JVIikel

JVIikel Member

I tried that. It didn't work. I already had it on 24 full, and had already selected the DivX. When I tried XviD, the render froze, and I had to kill the task.

For my codecs I used the K-like pack from free-codecs.com. Could that be my problem?