1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get HDD media player to work

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by erokyrwr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. erokyrwr

erokyrwr Member

Bought one of those hdd media players off ebay, and a hard drive to go with it. The hard drive formatted fine, but transferred avi and mpeg files do not show up when connected to my TV. Hard drive formatted in NTSF as instructed, but the only thing that shows up on the TV is a "ROOT" folder with no contents and no other media files are detected. Anyone have any advice?

2. erokyrwr

erokyrwr Member

bump for help

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

I'm no expert on those things but surely not just any kind of file can be recognized and played by the operating system in the player. Like in a pc the reason you can play the files is because the relevant codecs are installed. Are you sure the files you are trying to play are supported by the system (the avi's you tried might be encoded with divx or xvid and this may not be supported)? Try putting a few different file types on and seeing if any of them play/work. For instance, does it allow you to view jpg images? Put one on and see if you can get it on your tv, if you can you know the player is working properly with the hard drive you have put in it. If there is a file type that you definitely know is supported and that still doesn't show up then I don't know.

Have you got a link to the player and the HD?

4. justinmc

justinmc Member

when you connect it to your computer right click and check in the properties to make sure "allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searching" is checked. if it's disabled the hdd media player i got from igozz.com did the same thing.

5. erokyrwr

erokyrwr Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried both to no avail. The only thing displayed is a "root" folder and no media files are present (even after adding mp3, jpeg, dvd, divx, etc. files).

I'd ask the ebay seller, but wouldn't you know it, the seller is no longer registered with ebay.

6. justinmc

justinmc Member

one last suggestion would be to check the jumper pins on the drive, try primary or slave or something. good luck.

7. LDee

LDee Regular member

As justinmc said, check the jumpers. A lot of these units only work on master. But I guess most drives are set to master be default, so...? Hope you didn't get a dodgy seller.