1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Reformat because of keyboard

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SgtDK, Nov 6, 2004.

1. SgtDK

SgtDK Member

Hello can anybody help me.

i've just got a new pc and want to reformat it with my own settings and have a backup local disc but my keyboard doesn't work when i am in the screen to sort it all out

my keyboard is a Logitech Cordless Desktop MX

if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

replace batteries in keyboard. get a standard ps2 keyboard for about $10 & use it til software is loaded. i ran into that problem on customer's computer when trying to input key for windows keyboard malfunctioned, she ended up replacing keyboard & mouse to wired

3. SgtDK

SgtDK Member

no no its not that i know when my batteries are dead or not

i got to the blue screen where you press enter to install, r to repair and f3 to quit and once i'm there my keyboard doesn't work i even plugged back in my wired ps/2 keyboard and that doesn't work

4. mechxero

mechxero Member

Restart your computer and look at your bios settings. You may have disabled ps2 keyboard/mouse option, of course, i am assuming your logitech keyboard/mouse is usb that is.

5. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

If you have FDISK'ed your computer, or have put a New Hard Drive in there that has not been formatted, it will do that very thing.

If there is nothing on that hard drive, get a Windows 98 Startup disc (www.bootdisk.com) then boot from that, then Format the hard drive (Format X:/u x being the drive u want 2 format) then give it another go.

But that problem usually occurs when the Hard Drive hasnt been formatted if new.

CJC

6. SgtDK

SgtDK Member

no no not the blue error screen i'm talking about the blue setup screen it doesn't matter now i got my keyboard to work whilst in it and i'm fine

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried connecting both the connectors on the reciever to the computer? And tried using the USB-->Purple PS2 adaptor too?

8. hijacker

hijacker Guest

Have you ever thought of getting a different keyboard?

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

LOL yeah but that would nullify the point of solving the problem -- which could be something potentially serious involving say the PS2 ports or something :)