1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capturing black screen with iuVCR

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by michelle9, Sep 17, 2004.

1. michelle9

michelle9 Member

I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong now, but I'm trying to capture using iuVCR and I'm getting nothing but black screen no matter what I try! Just yesterday I used the trial version and it captured, no problems. So I bought it, entered the serial number and now I'm just getting a black screen when I record. The picture works fine in the preview box but as soon as I start to record everything goes black. Since it worked before I'm at a loss. Can anyone help me please?

I should also add that the snapshot function does work, just not the stream.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Try Disableing the Preview screen and see if that helps or try captureing in a different colorspace...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  3. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Yeah, I tried both of those things, no luck. I repoted it to the company, maybe it's a bug, maybe they gave me the wrong serial number...who knows. I'll post the answer here in case someone else has the same problem ever.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are you getting the same problem with other Capture Programs???

5. michelle9

michelle9 Member

No, I have studio 9 and I can capture using that software. Like I said, I can capture snapshots so it's not my connections or cables.
    However, I downloaded Flyds, another capture program with a 30 day trial and I get a grey screen with capture there except for the first 2 seconds it captures the stream. Really weird...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  6. Minion

Minion Senior member

That Is Strange...What type of Capture device are you useing??
    All I can suggest is to use whatever works...
    Have you tried "Virtual-VCR"?? It is a pretty good One and it is Freeware, Virtual-Dub is also a pretty Good Video capture program and it does so much more...

The one I use Most often for AVI capture these days is the Capture Program built into the MainConcept Encoder ...It is very good and easy to use and you can also capture directly to High Quality Mpeg2 for DVD useing it.....

Good Luck

7. michelle9

michelle9 Member

It was a bug, the new release fixed it and I am now able to capture again. Yay! I tried Virtual-VCR and Virtual-Dub but I just couldn't quite get either one of them to work and it just got too frustrating. The only guide I could find for getting one of them going included using Adobe Premier which is like $1,500.- and that was a little much for me. I've seen you mention Mainconcept Encoder before and I looked at that but that costs $150.- and that's a little much just for a capture program. I already have CCE basic for the encoding so it seems a waste to buy such an expensive(for me) program for capture. Is it really so great? I can't capture directly to MPEG because my processer is only 900 Mhz. I can't stand the studio 9 software though because it takes so looooong to render anything. I think I've figured out how to use the Huffy codex for compression using it, so I'll test that out to see what happens. I'm using the Pinnacle AV/DV capture card, but I just had a little luck with the local lottery and I'm going to get that Canopus ADVC-300 device now and use that in conjuntion with it. Do you think that will work O.K. or should I get a differnt card if I'm going to use the Canopus do you think? I've got around 300 videos to convert and I'm looking for a little speed as well as quality here. Do you think Mainconcept Encoder would be better than the programs I already have? Any advice would be much appreciated as your experiance is far superior to my own. Thank you, Michelle

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

CCE Basic is a Better encoder than mainconcept to Just stick with it...
    The advc-300 is a very good Capture device but If I were you I would First upgrade your PC to a faster one Because even with the ADVC-300 you still have to render your Files for DVD authoring and it is still going to take forever to do it...
    You can upgrade your PC to a 2.0ghz to 3.0ghz PC from anywere from $100 to $300 depending on the CPU you get...You can go cheap and Upgrade your PC to a AMD Sempron 2500+ for about $120 US and that is the 2500+ CPU and a New Motherboard and all you would need after that would be a Stick of DDR Ram and then your PC will be Fast enough to render your Files in a Decent amount of Time and be able to run Programs that you can"t now because of your Slow PC and be able to Capture directly to Mpeg2 useing your present Capture Hardware...
    If you want some Links to were you can Pick up CPU/Motherboard combos for a Good Price let me Know and I can help you Install it, that is if you have never done it before.....

I actually just picked up a Intel 2.7ghz CPU with a New Motherboard that has all of the Latest features Like SATA and 800mhz FSB and DDR 400 for $150 Canadian which is a Pretty Cheap deal....

Cheers

9. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Well I wouldn't want to spend much more than $150.- because in the beginning of 2005 I will be building a whole new computer which my company said they would pay 1/3 of if I waited 'til the start of the new year. I have an HP Pavillion 8766C right now and I never bothered upgrading the CPU and motherboard because I was under the impression I couldn't. The paperwork that came with it said the CPU was only upgradable to 1.0 and it hardly seemed worth it to spend so much money for a whole 100 Mhz differance...If you think I could upgrade the CPU and motherboard for that little on my present set-up however, even with only another 4-5 months to wait for a new system, the savings in time would still be worth it. If you think it would work I would love some help with the process! I installed my new hard drive in the computer myself and I thought that was a big deal. Ha ha.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you Can upgrade the CPU and Motherboard in a HP PC...
    I upgraded my Moms 800mhz HP PC to a Intel 2.7ghz PC about 8 months ago....
    You could Upgrade to about 2.0+ ghz for about $150 US but if you are going to be getting a whole new system in a few Months you Might as well wait till then.....
    If you still want to do it you can Find Very good Motherboard /CPU combo deals over at TigerDirect or even Newegg.com......