1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing old (1980's) home videos. Need help with 'jumpy' pictures.

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Tapp, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Tapp

Tapp Guest

Hey gang,

I am converting several old home videos I found recently to DVDs and ran across a couple that are causing me some problems. The VHS themselves have degraded and are now flickering causing my captures to freeze and/or the vertical is thrown off.

Is there any reasonably priced device that can help clean up the flickering and tracking on these old tapes prior to capturing? I don't want to spend more than $100-150 on this since its only a couple of tapes.

If the device is too expensive, is there anyone out there with the equipment that wouldnt mind cleaning up about 45 mins to an hour of video?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well In reality there is very little That can be done if there is major corruption of the Video Signal..One thing that you can try is to use a Video Stabilizer..These Devices are regularly used to Capture VHS tapes and DVD"s that are Copy protected, but they also Boost and Stabilize the Video Signal but if the Tapes are really degraded it might not help that Much..When VHS tapes get old a Lot of the Video signal can be lost and the tape gets Stretched and demagnitized and when the Video information gets Lost it is Pretty Much Lost forever...What type of Capture device are you useing??? Cuz some Capture devices can handle a Bad signal better than others.....Cheers

3. Tapp

Tapp Guest

Using a Dazzle DVC-100. I see alot of people post that its not that great of a capture device but once I downloaded the newest version of MovieStar 5 from their site, i have been having great success with it. I guess this may be what everyone is talking about though. Any idea of a good but cheap stabilizer?