1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing video from internet and placing on a dvd

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Itsme2000, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Itsme2000

Itsme2000 Guest

Ok, I am a newbie and I am planning on buying a dvd recorder soon.Is it possible, and with what software, to capture video from a live stream, such as yahoo's launchcast or any others, and rip it to dvd or vcd to play on a dvd player? And is it possible to, say, record such visualizations from winamp while its playing music, burn to dvd, and play it on dvd so that the visuals are on the screen with the music playing in the background? Thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can record streaming content, how you record it would depend on what streaming format it was and what transfer protocol it used..I my self Capture WMV/ASF streams from some adult sites useing the http and mms protocol useing a Little Program called "Windows media stream recorder"...If the stream in in windows media format you just Right click on the screen were the video is playing and go to "properties" and a properties page will pop up with the URL that you are watching and you just copy and paste the URL into "Windows Media Stream recorder" and start recording the Stream ..After you record the stream you would have to encode the strream to Mpeg2 for DVD, But since most stream are Very low resolution low quality files you will have to use the Sif DVD format(352_240/288-pal) if you want the Picture to be watchable..that you will have to author the files to DVD...The good thing about the SIF DVD format is it allows you to fit up to 6 hours of Video on a Single DVD-R...If you want to record Winamp visualizations you will need a screen capture Program of some sort to record it right off your screen...Good Luck

3. njcub

njcub Member

Would you know how to do it with a re4al player stream to put on a dvd format. thanx in advance

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

I suppose it is Possible But it would be a Lot of work and the Quality would be total Crap..
    Most Streaming Files especially RM files are of Low Resolution and Bitrate so when resized in some cases 500% to Standad DVD resolution the Picture Looks Awefull..Streaming Files Just don"t Make good DVD"s because of there Low Quality Plus with the RM there are Very Few Programs that can encode or decode them and the ones that do aren"t Very High Quality... I have had Some success Putting streaming ASF/WMV files on DVD useing the SIF DVD Format But these were Fairly high Bitrate ASF/WMV Files and were captured through a Broadband connection ...The only Program I know that will encode RM to AVI or Mpeg is "EO_Video"..You can try it but you probably won"t like it...Good luck

5. njcub

njcub Member

Thank u very much. Ill try it.

6. kelot

kelot Member

hi! iv read what have you been conversing so i tried the software too. unfortunately, what i was trying to capture was not supported by windows media player because it was created thru flash. do you guys happen to know any software that can capture a flash movie from the internet?

thanks!

7. Bob_D

Bob_D Member

Well what i've done is to view the source of the webpage with the flash content, locate the reference to the .swf file, and then download this file.
    Afterwards i import the file into flash and export it as an avi.... worked like a charm for me.....

8. kelot

kelot Member

thanks for the suggestion however i don't think it didn't work on www.pathways-to-peace.com or maybe I just didn't do it correctly. can you try it yourself and try to download the presentation(i think it is flash movie). I am just thinking if it is possible to save that presentation coz it is so cool just like in www.theinterviewwithgod.com

thanks!