1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car repair man took the p*ss - need help

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by myksterx, Aug 30, 2009.

1. myksterx

myksterx Regular member

6 months ago i purchased a car that needed work on it.

the bloke phoned me today (6 months later) - i know, i should have took the vehicle out of the place, but he started it and did it very slow.

the vehicle had light damage & paint work damage.

anyone else could have done it in 1 and a half weeks but at double the cost...

the bloke said he would have it done in 3 weeks so i said ok.

the original price was 1,000 quid for the repair..

3 months later he said now its 1,300..

and now he wants 1,500!!!

what can i do to get myself out of this situation?
    im not happy with the job, the paint work isnt up to scratch, the repair seems patheticly too long for what he has done..

and now he is shutting his business down in the next few days..
    and flying to jibrolta for a few months because the bailiffs r after him for rent !!!

what can i do?
    is it all in my favour?

what 'law' terms can i throw at him?

i need to pay someone else to do the job elsewhere now, the paint job needs re-doing!!!!

theres no way im paying him for 6months of taking the piss & now i have to take it somehwere else to finish it off!! NO CHANCE!!

please help somebody :(

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Do you have another key? You could just steal it back once the guy skips town. The title should be in your name, and putting a lean on a car takes a long time...more time than he has to pay the rent.

3. myksterx

myksterx Regular member

yes m8 i have the other key, i just wanted to know where i stand with the law.

i know the bloke, hes an arsehole hes nothing 2 worry about, bit of a tit thats all.

if im not happy with a job / repair, isnt the repair man supposed to correct the job b4 i release the funds? if so, whats the law on if he is leaving his business and cannot complete the job.. i obviously need to take the car elsewhere for another paint job, but can i get away with not paying him LEGALLY?

ill rip him off completely, if i have to, ill smash his head in. but then there are more complications, and if i can get away with it via the law and just driving it out because its my vehicle ill do it that way.

ide rather not have the police after me for asault lolol

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Affraid I'm not sure about your local laws (don't even know if you are a brit of an ausi). Seems like a rather common kind of problem, you might just find a cop, buy him a cup of coffee, and ask him some questions.

5. homesick

homesick Regular member

i would just call the police and explain you situation. nicely.