1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD burner won't read cd-r's or regular cd's

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by tylerb9, Feb 16, 2004.

1. tylerb9

tylerb9 Member

I have had an Optorite 40x12x40 CD burner for just over a year and the other day it stopped reading and burning cd's.

It won't read CD's or CD-R's at all. I've checked the device manager and everything is fine there, and in My Computer it is showing it as a E: Drive as usual, but you can't access any CD's that you put in the drive.

I was wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong with it. I don't know whether it has just burnt out and died or if the lens could be dirty or what else could be wrong. My other CD-Rom is working fine.

Has anyone else had a problem like this with their burners?

Thanks

2. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

hi

i have the same problem with my dvd drive, it just stopped reading cds from one day to a an other. somebody told me i should try a cleaning disc, but didn't do it yet. maybe it woul help you.

3. goalie

goalie Member

Mine just did the same thing today! Only 1 yr old at most. Pioneer A05. HELP!?!?!?

4. tylerb9

tylerb9 Member

Something else with mine was that the disc would no long spin so there was no way I could use a CD lens cleaner. I talked to Optorite tech support and they figured it was the drive reading head.
    Either way, I bought a LG 52x32x52 drive today, it has alright reviews and was only 60 bucks canadian. You can't really beat that price!

5. goalie

goalie Member

That's fine for a CD burner, but mine is a DVD burner. not exactly cheap.