1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD copys won't play in my car

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Jawbone, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Jawbone

Jawbone Member

First of all I do not pirate CD's. I just want to make a copy of some of them to play in my car. I don't download music and I don't even use MP3.
    Now with that out of the way:
    The original CD will play in my car but various copys done in various ways will NOT. These copys will play in my wife's car but not in mine.
    I have used TDK and Verbatim media. I have burned them on different computers. The burners are Pioneer A05 and A07. I have used CloneCD and tried ripping and burning with EasyCD-DA Extractor.
    Could some of you more knowledgeable people try to help me.
    Thanks, J

2. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

maybe its the car cd player thats the problem not the cd's, the computer, the burning software.

my old car cd player wouldnt read some CDr's i used - it was an older model and not a very good one at that.

sorry i cant help more

3. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

I was going to suggest you may have burnt the cd in mp3 format to cram more tracks in as that could be a cause - but you have dispelled that theory.

I would guess its simply the cd player as well to be honest.....

4. Jawbone

Jawbone Member

If the software is making an EXACT copy of the CD then why would it play in some players and not others? What could be on an exact copy that the CD player doesn't like? Or what is the difference between the original and the copy?
    Thanks, J

5. gordie

gordie Member

i think sometimes it just luck to be honest, i find that some cds work better than others.

6. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

I'm no expert but although it may be copying the "exact" data, in crude terms (as I dont know the proper way of saying it) your CD player is reading it from different materials.

Take DVD's, they all copy the same stuff, but while some cheap media will skip at the end of a movie done in the same process, a RITEK dye disk would not.

I dont suspect its cheap media at fault though as CD-R's are almost fool proof

7. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Verbatum is not the greatest medium in the world if you no what I mean. If you want to play cds in the car stick with cd-r mediums not cd-rw. cd-rw will not play in a lot of cd players. On the other hand cd-r will play in almost anything. Brands i've had success with include; tdk, memorex, maxell, sony, and basf.
    Good luck with your music. strone

8. Rams_fan

Rams_fan Member

Jawbone--

Had the same problem with my 10 year old car CD player. Here's what I do--

1. Use MusicMatch to rip the tracks to my harddrive.
    2. Use MusicMatch to convert the MP3 files to WAV files under a new folder.
    3. Use Easy CD Creator to burn the WAV files to a Sony CD-R Music.(you could use MusicMatch or another program to burn the files. I like Easy CD Creator)

I tried several brand (TDK, Memorex, Maxell) until I found a brand that worked for me. Some disks just would not play, others skiped.

Hope this helps...

Go Rams

9. FAK

FAK Member

Same thing happens in my truck. :( When i first got it 1999 it worked fine with burnt cds and then like 2003 it stopped playing them. I have tried many things and nope.

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

whats the cd player in your car,type version etc
    Do you get an error message come up when you insert your disc, or does it just spit the disc.
    Can you provide more info

andmerr

11. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  12. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

you can rip, encode, decode, and burn with any software you want as many times as you want - some car cd players do not read cdr's.

if its down to the laser, the antishock i dunno - they just dont.

you gotta find ones that work in your car mate.

Trial and error

13. Fugazi69

Fugazi69 Member

I used to have the same problem with burned CDs, car CD players have more problems than other CD players reading burned CDs, one thing you can try is burning at a lower speed,(between 4X and 16X) I have found that this usually works, I read somewhere that burning at a lower speed allows the laser to create deeper pits in the cd and makes it easier for CD players to read, it works for me, try it out and let me know if it works for you too.

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I found with my Pioneer deck I have to burn at 4X regardless of media quality for it play CDRs.

15. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

You should try using a diff. cd player in your car.
    I mean if the cd works on your comp but not in your car then it's usually the cd player that needs to be fixed.
    HOped this helped