1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by daveccbb, Jan 26, 2005.

1. daveccbb

daveccbb Member

For my Samsung CD-RW 212B drive, the device properties shown in device manager do not display a "Recording" tab. My Adaptec CD Creater software cannot find a supported CD recording device. How can I fix this? Can you provide the info to get the keys for the device correctly added back to the registry? I think they are missing. There is a miscrosoft.com article with the exact same title as my topic, that says to go to registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives" and flip that setting to enable burning. However, this registry key does not exist in my system, although my operating system is Windows ME and the article was for Windows XP. But I cannot find anything in my registry even remotely similar. I also read somewhere that program devmgmt.msc could be run to remove the device and then have Windows re-install it. But my system does not have this program. Is there a similar device management program for Windows ME? Or is the only way to physically disconnect the drive and then re-connect it? When Windows re-installs the drive will it automatically update the registry? Either this alternative or info to get the registry entries in order would be the solution I think. I've run a free registry scan program that hasn't found any errors in my registry.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

remove drive from device manager than restart windows & see what happens

3. daveccbb

daveccbb Member

Thanks very much for the reply. Tried removing the drive from device manager and restarting Windows but the problem is still there. Appreciate any further suggestions.

4. ddp

try reloading windows on top of self to see if correct problem

5. lobstah48

lobstah48 Guest

If you are usuing EZCD Creator then you should get the latest updates from Roxio's site for the program. I had a simular problem and that cured it. It was a matter of updating the software with the latest files to recognise my new burner. Good luck.

6. daveccbb

daveccbb Member

I would like to avoid having to reload Windows. The only way I can do that is a total system restore. Would you expect a physical disconnect/reinstall of the drive would yield a different result than the logical remove/reinstall that I've already tried? thanks.

7. ddp

try it but let windows load up than shut down system to reconnect drive than restart computer to see what happens. was drive working before alright or just happened recently or what??